Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm a french new 2002 r6 rider, and I love my bike, especially the ratio pleasure/price :smile:

Anyway, I live in Paris, and as in many big cities around the world, I'm surrounded by speed camera fixed and mobile.... and I'm constantely checking my speed indicator...

I'm currently finishing my electronics engineering degree, and I was thinking to build a speed limiter device. This device will smartely turn off the ignition when you reach the speed the driver chose. Doesn't matter in which gear you are, the ignition will be turned off according to the speed. I guess, it is the same system as the pitlane speed limiter in motoGP.

Is it already on the market ? I cannot find something really similar online.(some mechanical/electronic cruiser control maybe, but not a simple speed limiter)

And do you think you will be interested by a product like that, or only me ? :nerd:

·
Registered
6 Posts
that not be a bit dangerous if it cuts what if the rider is cornering at speed and the power just cuts out and throws the bike off balance, could be a sure way to a crash. Or would you have it work like cruise control where the rider enables it when riding in a straight line such as a motorway/highway?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
There are likely regulations on how cut-off devices can work. Before embarking on an engineering project, it would be wise to explore the possibility of such regulations. As an exercise for personal growth, it would be fun. But as Speirsy points out, there's a way to achieve that, and a way not to. There are a couple of ways in which speed governors work. They either limit fuel, or limit spark. More info: https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/speed-limiter.htm <-- according to that article they can limit air as well, but this probably limited to "throttle by wire" vehicles. (which is probably most of the newer designs)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts