Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for the record, I am 100% sober. Scary I know. Also to understand what I am talking about you will need to watch the video below.

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=31990

So I came across the video above, which may or may not be fake. But I thought, if this does really work, it would work a whole hell of a lot better at 160 MPH. It would also be very easy to make a machine that forced the clocks to start at exactly the same time.

I would like to have a camera (pc webcam) at home on the stopwatch, and obviously one on my bike with that stopwatch in view (video camera). The result would be a video with me riding obviously, and an overlay of the stopwatch at home.

Do you think this video was fake? I am probably wasting my time...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just for the record, I am 100% sober.
That's where you lost me.
I don't think the video is real. In fact, I know it's not real. Actual scientists have done this test, but they use atomic clocks and airplanes. Stopwatches are junk; they're not accurate at all. And cars don't move fast enough to matter. When they use airplanes, the time difference is significantly less than a second. Like, less than hundredths of a second. I love how the stopwatches are off by such a noticeable amount. And they still change seconds at the same time.

·
My R6 eats my $$
414 Posts
thats pretty crazy if its real, but i don't see how it could really work that way, seems fake to me, but i have no proof

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
if this was true i would always be late for work :popcorn:

·
12,482 Posts
plus... there's NOOOOO way anyone can hit the button on two seperate stop watches and have them stop on the same exact time like in the video.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actual scientists have done this test, but they use atomic clocks and airplanes. Stopwatches are junk; they're not accurate at all. And cars don't move fast enough to matter. When they use airplanes, the time difference is significantly less than a second. Like, less than hundredths of a second. I love how the stopwatches are off by such a noticeable amount. And they still change seconds at the same time.
Thats understandable, but very credible scientists also say that if you were able to fly around the world in the opposite direction that it's spinning, you could go back in time. Does that mean that the direction you travel determines the clock's accuracy?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I bet the guy's wife stopped the watch for 2 seconds & started it again while he was gone. He probably didn't even know it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
not sure, but i believe it IS real.

i watched a video in high school about time travel. the closest we have got to it is time dialiation. basically, the video was about twins...one lived on earth, and the other was in space flying at very high speeds. when the other comes back to earth, he's younger than his twin. its wierd..but it made perfect sense by the way they explained it..BUT..its been too long ill try to find it.
but basically...you'd have to be going vvveerryy fast for a long period of time to tell a huge difference

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
interesting.... however, if this is the fact (makes sense to me to be so), you re not going back in time nor you're getting/staying younger.... what happens is that the time around you changes while your "body" time goes at the same pace.... anyone confused?

·
Registered
869 Posts
interesting.... however, if this is the fact (makes sense to me to be so), you re not going back in time nor you're getting/staying younger.... what happens is that the time around you changes while your "body" time goes at the same pace.... anyone confused?
yea makes sense..that video i watched was a little...hm..whats the word...well..i slept through it, much like my high school career.

so whatevvver.:werd

·
Registered
2 Posts
OOOOOH, thats deep. Can you expand your mind while keeping your body young? Did he just find the fountain of youth?

·
Laugh. Love. Learn. Live.
657 Posts
While this particular video is probably just some guy with too much... time... on his hands? (imagine austin powers saying that), the idea definitely has some merit to it. If you've ever taken physics classes or something similar, you'd see that there's definite science behind it.

·
Laugh. Love. Learn. Live.
657 Posts
I bet the guy's wife stopped the watch for 2 seconds & started it again while he was gone. He probably didn't even know it.
That would cause the "home" clock to be slower... in the results, the "car" clock was slower.:fact

·
Registered
93 Posts
Time dilation is a very real concept, but it's not what's going on in that video. You'd have to be going a hell of a lot faster than 50-some-odd mph in less than a half hour to see that kind of difference. Like close to the speed of light faster.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Time dilation does occur as you approach the speed of light, where time supposedly "stands still"--but i don't think 50mph would cause the stopwatch to be 2 seconds off. Maybe if he was moving 50mph for a few years, but 50mph is too insignificant to make a difference. I think :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
So than those who go and race on the week ends can do a test.. get 2 stop watches set up before the race and see what they say afterwards. its a pretty interesting concept though..

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
I call bull shit, at least not at these speeds. If this were true wouldn't our car clocks eventually start getting way behind are home clocks???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts