Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my problem. I was cruising along, check engine lights comes on and dissappears. 2 days later comes on again then the speedo and tach die, rpms die off until bike dies and then ofcourse wont start. COdes 46 and 11 flash on trip meter. SInce then I charged the battery and got a new starter relay ( that cluster that one battery terminal connects to. Well it started. I thought i had the problem fixed went riding tand after 15 minutes died on me again, same way. Battery is once again dead and only code 46 flashes. I Replaced battery with a new one and the bike ran perfect, went riding and died after 15 minutes. Brand new batter is once again dead butnow i have a new error code 14 nad 46The problem seems electrical, I appreciate all input. This is driving me nuts. IS this ignition coils or a alternator problem?

ps after it dies it wont start had to walk it home once 2 miles uphill ...other times popped the clutch dow n hill and barely made it home... it is a 2003 r6 5900 miles

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
"Faulty intake air pressure sensor hose system; a hose is detached, causing constant application of the atmospheric pressure to the sensor; or, the hose is clogged." - from the service manual, code 14.

Code 46 is a charging system problem, which is probably why your battery is dead. This is not the injector problem. Take a good look at the harness that plugs into the regulator/rectifier and see if there are burnt wires. If there are, replace wires. Put the multimeter on the diode setting and jump the "red" pin to the 3 "white" pins. You should have continuity in all 3 going one way, and no continuity in any of them the other way. If you have continuity in both directions, or no directions for a pin, then your r/r is bad. If that checks out, post up and I'll find the resistances for the stator and you can check that to see if its bad.

First off, go plug your pressure sensor back in. Its under the tank.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the great response. I am quite handy but this is my first bike and hadnt taken her apart yet. Where could i locate the rect/regulator? So its possible for the harness/wiring to be burnt without the rec/reg being fried? Come to think of it I have been smelling burnt wiring . Thanks again, I will let you know what i find.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
the r/r is under the seat, kinda above the rear shock. Its about a 3x3 inch metal square with fins, looks a lot like a heat sink. You should be able to disconnect the wires and such without taking the seat off. Just go at it from the underside. Its a common problem for the wiring harness to fry and melt the ground wire and a phase wire or two, but leave the actual regulator intact.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I unplugged the harness from the regulator and tooka a multimeter to it. Connecting the red wireharness pin to the 3 whites gave me noreading while taking the other wire (black) to the 3 white pins gave me current. IS this the regulator or the harness? I will be working on it all day tomorrow, undoing the harness ets and looking for fried wires. If iti si a fired wire, do I have to change the entire harness???wow
Thanks, Much Appreciated.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
if the wires at the plug are not burnt, you need to check the stator next. if that checks out ok, you will need a new regulator.

Attachments

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
:wtf
Man that sucks! Hope it doesn't happen to me, and I'm glad we have more experienced guys than myself here to help you out. Good luck bro! I'm rootin for ya

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one of the pin entrances on he plug is a little burnt but it still carries a current....what i will do now is play with the stator and generator - i heard if the generator screw has to be tightened some of the problems ive been experiencing with charging may occur .ill let you know and thanks again for your help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts