Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding for a lil while and doing some wheelies or at least practicing, my speedo started flickering and then stopped working. It scared the hell out of me. Im assuming that the cable must have gotten loose from dropping the front end so much recently, what you think? However 1 hour later when it sat everything went back to normal, I was wondering what the easiest way to get at the cable on a 99 to check if its on there or not? Does the entire front end have to come off on a 99 because I dont think I can get at it just from taking the windscreen off like on the newer models. Any ideas. thaks

·
Registered
64 Posts
i believe that most bikes have a disconnect cord for all the electronic componenets as i have a friend that disconnects his headlights whenever he goes onto the track. i imagine it would be the same for the speedo.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Could also be your voltage regulator/rectifier.

If this happens again and the bike goes dead, blame it on that. It is a small black box with cooling fins on it that is bolted to the gfront of your batttery box.

Very common for those things to blow up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I noticed that when I hit a bump, my speedo drops in and out. It reads I am going 30 then 50 then the true 95mph speed. Sometimes it won't start at all or when I hit the starter button, it dies. I first thought it was the battery so I lifted the sit slightly and wiggled the battery lead. I will check the rectifier as someone mentioned. -out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts