Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm goin down the road and I'm side by side with a civic.
My bike says 50 mph.
The civic says 44mph.

Ummmm.... which do I believe?

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
speedo's are going to be off, thats a fact.

If it were me i'd lean more toward the civic speed...Stock sprockets too right?

·
Registered
263 Posts
yeah they are a little pricy, but once you get them dialed in your speedo will be dead on. I got mine close then messed with it off and on stop and go on the bike for about and hour and now its dead nuts with a gps to the tenth of a mph. IMO they're worth it.

·
Too sad without 2 wheels.
650 Posts
at 45 mph I was doing the same speed as a 2005 mustang GT manual with stock sized 17''s. After 45 mph, it goes downhill. A good test?
Truckers! Truckers do the speed limit 95% of the time. Why? Cuz their tickets cost a LOT! A speeding ticket in a semi truck is like quadroople what it is for us- as it should be! Its not worth it to them to speed- besides they are given enough time to finish their routes. Ride 65 mph next to a semi truck and see how much the semi passes you by.

·
Registered
141 Posts
:BS

I never knew this.. Why cant they just have it right to begin with.. Shit, we just paid about 9g's for our bike did we?!

-m0nkey

·
Registered
176 Posts
Even a new set of tires can affect your speedometer being off. Best bet get a speedohealer. Can be had for less than $100 on ebay. Borrow a friends GPS, stick it in a tank bag and get a good steady reading. use those values in the online calculator, program it into the speedohealer and presto.

·
Registered
458 Posts
It could be worse. if it said you were going 6 mph slower than you actually were

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm goin down the road and I'm side by side with a civic.
My bike says 50 mph.
The civic says 44mph.

Ummmm.... which do I believe?
Thats funny as hell I did the same thing the other night next to a civic on the interstate their speedometer said 80 mine said 85. Their speedometer are so easy to see when you are next to them.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
well its all relative I guess...you COULD have a sending unit and cable coming from your rear tire area to give you an actual speed...but for some reason, race bikes don't do it that way...............:dunce:

As for the math...if you can't do 10% calculations in your head, you need to go take the money you spent on a bike and reinvest it in an education.

These bikes aren't built to be on the street per se...they are built to compete in the AMA and WSB circuits...we are just lucky enough to get a street legal version from them to ride around on. Be happy its even that close to accurate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
you can get speedo's that are accurate? Ha, only making light of this, but never had a bike with accurate speedo. Cheapest way, if you're bothered, is to work out your speed your self - here in UK there are markers on the motorway, those white posts, count those until you've done a mile at constant speed; record the time and hey presto, you can calculate your average speed. Compare that to what your speedo was telling you. Got to be finger tip sharp with the throttle over that distance; just as easy, use gps; but not hugely more accurate than your current reading.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As for the math...if you can't do 10% calculations in your head, you need to go take the money you spent on a bike and reinvest it in an education.
Tuition is too rich for my blood. I'll just stick to good ol fashion finger countin.
:toocool:

·
RACE READY MODE
207 Posts
06 and 07 model the speedo healer has been known to fry the ecu.
How true is this? I just bought my speedohealer and now i am afraid of installing the unit?

·
Registered
176 Posts
How true is this? I just bought my speedohealer and now i am afraid of installing the unit?
I have an 08 (R6S). I have had my speedohealer on since a week after I bought it and haven't had any issues. Course this could be just for the R6. But I have never heard anything like this and have only heard the best from anyone that has had a speedohealer. Just make sure to get the latest version.

·
I do it for the Chicks.
296 Posts
I just did a test yesterday to see how far mine is off. My 64 = 60.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts