Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my noob question. I'll preface this with I prefer mechanical things a lot more than electronics: they make more sense to me.

But, if I wanted to have an integrated tail light AND another set of blinkers (like passenger LED pegs), can I just splice the wire that runs to the integrated tail turn signals to the pegs? So the turn signal wires that run to the back would split into a "Y"; one end going to the integrated tail and one to the pegs? Or do you need a relay or resistor or repeater or whatever?

Thanks for being patient with my noob electronics question. :dunce:

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get yourself a packet or two of these

Link

Easy to connect up and easy to disconnect if you ever need to as well
Nice! Will those let me do what I described?

·
scared of big tracks
8,491 Posts
Yea they let you tap into any wire you want and supply power to another wire.

So what you would do is put whatever wire you want to splice into (turn signal wire) in the middle of the blue (top right) connector and have it lock. Then use the bottom left part to tap into it (there will be a spot created once the blue locking part is closed). Then run the wire to your LED's and you're all set.

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea they let you tap into any wire you want and supply power to another wire.

So what you would do is put whatever wire you want to splice into (turn signal wire) in the middle of the blue (top right) connector and have it lock. Then use the bottom left part to tap into it (there will be a spot created once the blue locking part is closed). Then run the wire to your LED's and you're all set.
Awesome! Thanks so much! Is it the same principle with having both headlights turn on as the "low beam?"

And do you have to splice the ground wires as well? (I assume yes, but like I said, I'm a noob to electronics.)

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
Best way to splice wires is solder and heat shrink tape. All I use on permanent mods. If it's something that isn't permanent then go with what is said above, but soldering is the best method of connection imo.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Best way to splice wires is solder and heat shrink tape. All I use on permanent mods. If it's something that isn't permanent then go with what is said above, but soldering is the best method of connection imo.
+1000

These bikes get wet, and the clip on stakes like pictured aren't the best bet. That's something I would use for a switch maybe, and in a car where weather isn't an option.

Soldering is SO easy. Otherwise, I would permanently connect them with a butt connector. One wire in and two out on the other end. That'd be ok if you taped over it. I just have never been a fan of the clip on stakes like these. I've done tons of wiring and electrical work.

·
Registered
333 Posts
For permanent stuff I use solder and heat shrink. For non permanent, use butt connectors but I also solder the wires into the male and female sides of the wires on top of crimping them in. I can't stand when people ghetto rig wiring, its so easy and cheap to do it right

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, you're gonna have to do it for every since wire.
Thanks for your help!!

+1000

These bikes get wet, and the clip on stakes like pictured aren't the best bet. That's something I would use for a switch maybe, and in a car where weather isn't an option.

Soldering is SO easy. Otherwise, I would permanently connect them with a butt connector. One wire in and two out on the other end. That'd be ok if you taped over it. I just have never been a fan of the clip on stakes like these. I've done tons of wiring and electrical work.
I don't know if I'll get a soldering iron. But any electrical work I do, I'll tape it up really good with electrical tape. Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
I usually solder the wire, shrink wrap, then coat with liquid tape.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Soldering is SUPER easy...they have cheap little soldering irons that are butane (that's what I have)...and shrink wrap is the sh!t Water likes to travel down wires, so even if you tape the crap out of it, it can still get water inside. Good luck :)

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Soldering is SUPER easy...they have cheap little soldering irons that are butane (that's what I have)...and shrink wrap is the sh!t Water likes to travel down wires, so even if you tape the crap out of it, it can still get water inside. Good luck :)
Thanks, Jen! Maybe I'll stop by Radio Shack and pick up a soldering iron when I'm ready to do my mod.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
Get yourself a packet or two of these

Link

Easy to connect up and easy to disconnect if you ever need to as well
I plan on using these to draw power from my turn signal running lights to my halo's. They worked great for my rear turn signals when I got rid of my stock one's.

·
Registered
457 Posts
T-Taps and Scotch Lok's are the biggest pieces of shit ever created. (EDITED)

Both of these use a chunk of aluminum in the shape of a "C" to form their connections, whereas, the "C" shape wraps around the insulation of the wire "O" and makes contact along the edge of the wire, which has horrible conductivity. Nevermind the dis-similar materials at work here.. a Tinned spade connector, a piece of aluminum and a soft copper stranded wire... One will rust and pit, one will corrode and oxidize and the other will tarnish and rot.

As the other advice recommends; Solder your connections, use the proper gauge wiring and heatshrink everything.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~23856~KW~Mikeshonda750F~PN~0~TPN~1

That may be useful if you have some time to kill.. its a tutorial i made about 6 years ago i believe and it has comments that have added and augmented along the way..

Soldering is very easy to do, you can get a cheapo plugin unit at radio shack /harbor freight for like 10$.. a roll of 60/40 rosin core solder for about 2$ a pack of multi heatshrink at the autoparts store for 5$ and a cigarette lighter at the gas station for 1$.

The SINGLE biggest piece of advice i could give you, and anyone reading this would be: HEAT+TIME and the solder will suck (called "Wicking") itself into the strands of copper you are heating. DONT paint it on, dont get the solder to fall onto the wires and stick ect. - I have seen ASE certified mechanics who have been in the auto industry for 40years do this, and look at me in amazement when I make a good joint.

Good luck LMGM.. I have the integrated tail light as well as stock turn signals.. what your wanting to do should work out great.. im looking forward to pics of it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Could always bring your bike my way, I'll solder it all up for ya. A clean job, too. I've got all the stuff. :*tongue

·
Registered
46 Posts
You can tap into the wires by soldering, but don't be suprised if you find issues with the LED's blinking to fast, or blinking dim. You might need to add resistors.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts