Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to beat a dead horse, but here's an interesting question and answer response I found in Sport Rider Magazine about Break-in of your bike:

Question: I'm going to buy a new ZX-10R and I was wondering about break-in. Kawasaki says break it in easy, very easy. On a website I found it says break it in hard, and that the first 20 miles are the most important. Is this true? The site says the harder you ride any bike at first to break it in the more power it will have when it's fully broken in. Is the Website legit? I will appreciate any insight.

Answer: While we generally consider the manufacturer's break-in recommendation to be on the very safe side, trying to break in your new bike in the first 20 miles is not a good idea. There are two aspects to break-in that need to be considered, and they are at odds with each other. Ones is that to properly seal the rings with the cylinder walls, sufficient load must be used to keep the rings in good contact with the cylinder -- otherwise the walls will glaze and the engine will have less compression than it should. In contrast, a light load is necessary so that the various bearings and other internals can properly mate -- putting too much load on a brand new tight-tolerance bearing will score the surface if there are imperfections that would otherwise be removed by a light break-in.

We've seen many bikes that make more and more horsepower as the miles add up, a good indication that the break-in process takes place over an extended period of time. We recommend following the manufacturer's method, but including the occasional medium-load run to higher revs to ward off cyclinder glazing. Be certain to finish off the process with runs to redline under load, as that will ensure the final seating of the rings.

-Sport Rider Magazine

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mostly light riding with the occasional hard ride. Which seems to make a lot of sense to me. Good compromise...

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I'm just in the process of breaking in. I believe that hard break in's are for guys at the tracks. A slow break in is for riders that want to take good care of their babies. But i do both. I dunno I'm riding right now like i would do after 1000miles. Occasionally i would go over 10,000RPM. I keep the revs low to save some gas when im just crusing around LOL...saving gas. :hammer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts