Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Longest trip I've made was 175miles. I used all the gears and putted around in 6th when I wasn't rippin up the curves.

If all goes as planned, I'l be doing a 600mile trip in about 4 weeks. I'm already powdering my ass in anticipation.

·
Registered
330 Posts
About 450 miles in one day. Wore my typical riding gear; jacket, gloves, helmet, and boots. Was sore as hell by the time we were done. (Went with a buddy on an 05 Kawi 636). Took another day just to get some feeling in my ass back, but I would do it agian in a heart beat!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last weekend my bud and I, he is 51 and I am 57, did 4 days in the NC mountains on R6s. We rode from Nahville Tn and back. The trip totaled 1485 miles with no interstate.

We often ride 350 and 400 mile days and while the R6 does not offer comfort it has never bothered me to do these types of days. It is great fun in the mountains and is well worth the efffort. I carry a small bag on the tail and a tank bag. If two old farts like us can do it pretty much pain free you younger guys should too.

If I was planning on doing a trip with several 500 mile + days that would probably mean a lot of interstate. In that scenario you would be trashing your sticky tires and giving up any advantage of having the sharp handling in tne twisties. So I would not do that kind of tour. I would load up the BMW K12S and be in Sport touring Heaven.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Pretty much what boltman said. It's not going to be terribly uncomfortable if you're doing some nice canyon carving action for miles, but on the highway you will get sore and tired. I've done a few 400 mile days, always twisties. I rarely slab for any more than 10 miles.

·
$4 a gal. 4 gal. a shot
933 Posts
Well I have done several 500 mile days. Gear, check this out
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49729
it doesn't look great but I can take it off and put the seat cowl on when I get where I am going. Road to the gap in June from Iowa. Here is a killboy shot of me leaving the gap loaded. The R6 works very well as a sport touring bike, I think a throttle lock helps a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is pretty cool but what are you planningf on carrying? I have toured for two weeks many times and never carried more than a tail bag and tank bag or side cases. I never camp so that cuts down on gear and I do not carry a lot of tools. I do carry an electric pump and plug kit. I have decided over the years that I can wear a pair of jeans for a week wash out a few ts and under garments and make do. I always wear full gear on the bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.