Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to send out a thread about my new business. About two months ago I started renting sportbikes (R6 and GSXR) out of Stamford, CT. So far I've had a lot of happy customers and everyone seems to love it. Check out my site at www.extrememotorcyclerentals.com and let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions.

Thanks a lot,

Mike

·
I whore my R6
1,874 Posts
i think your about to spend alot of money replacing bikes that have been downed/ ragged on by people who specifically rent them to do over 100 just to see what its like. also, i see the possibility of lawsuits from the people who rent them to go out and pick up girls and then end up wrecking or something with the dirls on the back. overall i think its a bad idea to rent a supersport class motorcycle to someone who may not necissarily know how to ride. also, if you have speed/ redlight cameras in your area be prepared to pay those tickets. 75% of your market will be irresponsible riders who want to go fast or look good and they will have no concern for other peoples stuff especially if its a rental. thats just my $.02. but i wish you the best of luck and hope that i am wrong and it goes well for you

·
Ride it like you stole it
1,176 Posts
Good Luck!! I saw your add on Craigslist and checked out your website. I would have rented one before I bought my R6 to make sure that it was the bike for me before purchasing.

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
i agree with midnightsun13.

its an interesting concept. i have never heard of a supersport bike rental, harleys and cruisers yeah but not race bikes. i go on business trips all over the country every 4-6 times a year. if i had some free time and there was a rental like yours i would consider spending $200 for a day of riding. but would rather a half day.

half days would get you more business, but the cheaper prices equals lower end clientele. if you think about it, everyone in your market area who is into this sport and who is skilled in it, most likely already has a bike and would have no need renting one. i think it would be great in vacation or tourist hot spots, but may not be as good in your regular city or town.

your other problem would be people who rent it just to take to the track, race illegally, stunt, or just use it to beat the st!t out of. i'm not sure if there is anyone who wouldn't ride a rental bike harder and more aggressive than they would their own. like i said in the beginning its a good concept, just not sure if its a great business decision.

please keep us posted and let us know if its working out or not.

hope this helps... please don't take this as criticism, just trying to point out the down falls. i'm sure there are plenty of positives as well. such as trying before buying, someones wife won't let them own so they rent.... cant afford to own but would like to ride a few times a year.... ect.... there is a market for it but its a small percentage. and a large percentage of them are inexperienced and or don't ride enough to keep consistent skill.

hire a good laywer and make sure you are covered in every area!!!
good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hey Goodluck.

For those saying its a bad idea, this is not a new business concept. Sportbikerental.com has been doing it for a while, especially on the west coast. Ever watch superbikes? They always plug sportbikerental, as that is what Jason always used anytime he when on location without his personal bike. Also, why would his liability be any different than if he started a car rental business, other than the fact that the potential for accidents is greater? Anyway here is the sportbikerental legal mumbo jumbo http://www.sportbikerental.com/terms_and_conditions.php
http://www.sportbikerental.com/motorcycle_rentals_requirements.php

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies, just to answer a few questions.

I do have a good insurance policy, and a very good release contract. I have encountered some issues with the guys who tip the bikes over in the driveway. But every issue I've had the customer has been good about paying for damages. Also in reference to the customer base, I am getting a lot of people from NYC who moved there, sold their bikes and just want to get out for a weekend. Overall it's going very well and I'm having a great time doing it. This summer is kind of a trial and error and next summer I will be going in a little deeper with new bikes and more choices.

Anyone have any ideas for advertising?

·
R Sexiness
1,139 Posts
good luck with this idea hope all goes well over the summer. Best place would be television. As bad as some of the commercials are that are on TV they are cheap and can reach a huge audience in the area you are in.

·
Ride it like you stole it
1,176 Posts
Try going to some bike gatherings around the area. Advertisements on your bkes that you rent out. I'm located in CT and might be willing to put an advertisement on my bike for the right price. I might have to take a ride down your way to check out your operation.

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, just to answer a few questions.

I do have a good insurance policy, and a very good release contract. I have encountered some issues with the guys who tip the bikes over in the driveway. But every issue I've had the customer has been good about paying for damages. Also in reference to the customer base, I am getting a lot of people from NYC who moved there, sold their bikes and just want to get out for a weekend. Overall it's going very well and I'm having a great time doing it. This summer is kind of a trial and error and next summer I will be going in a little deeper with new bikes and more choices.

Anyone have any ideas for advertising?
i never said it was a bad idea. i was under the impression you posted this to be critiqued, and though that could better your business. if you cover all of your bases you should have no legal troubles at all. I'm glad to hear things are going well, it sounds like you got most things covered. if I am ever in the area on a business trip i might look you up and rent a bike myself.

there are some things mentioned in the web site above i would strongly agree with, and suggest that you look into. not saying you should or shouldn’t adapt to their policies, just think about it…………

• Motorcycle Renters must be at least 25 years of age
  • All renters are required to have at LEAST 2 years riding experience on a high performance motorcycle.
  • A deposit will be taken at the time of rental and refunded when the motorcycle is returned undamaged.
  • Keep in mind that Sportbike riding is a potentially dangerous activity and can result in injury or even death.
  • Sportbikerental.com. does not offer or provide medical coverage of any kind.
  • Dangerous, reckless, and aggressive riding are not tolerated. We DO NOT condone stunt riding, wheelies, stoppies, or other foolish riding behaviors.
  • Non U.S. residents must also possess a valid passport for identification.
  • Motorcycle Renters must have previous riding experience operating a similar high performance motorcycle.
  • The rider may not take the motorcycle outside of the U.S.
  • Special Motorcycle Events are subject to a $45 per day surcharge.
  • Medical insurance is NOT provided. Renters must provide their own medical insurance.

As far as advertising…… free is good to take advantage of craiglist, forums, your own attractive website….. ect…. we have found that the phone book is still our number one best return, we spend 15% of total sales on advertising that’s 1.7 million on advertising a year, and 1 million is on Verizon super pages. in the phone book try to get number one position buy buying the biggest add, add color to catch the eye. For internet “yellow pages” you can also pay for top position, if your competitors don’t already have it. On the internet you can have top positions on google and yahoo local pages as well as regular internet searches. The entire internet paid advertising is “pay per click”.

We also do a ton of direct mail pieces and cupons. Try creating attractive and eye catching flyers. Hang or place these flyers in all the areas or places you potential customers will be. also might be a bit extreme for you right now but we advertise on the radio and through tv commercials. We also use magnets, stickers, lawn signs, and a lot more. If you are delivering bikes get your vehicle wrapped instead of lettered (don't leave it unmarked) that way it will be near impossible not to be noticed. make sure you have some form of advertising on all your rental bikes as well. Also brand your company with an emblem or slogan so that everyone in your market area who hears or sees it will know its you (that should be on every rental bike, piece of ligature, invoice, vehicle, uniform, or paraphernalia your company has).

If you have employees they should have a dress code, and should have t-shirts and or hats with the company name on them, their entire outfit should all be matching in color and style (including belt, shoes, pants…ect) "dress for success" you want your customers to be confident in your business, even if your not a big shot company that doesn't mean you can't look and act like you are. We also have facial hair and hair cut company standards. I cant disclose the company name, but my father is the owner and we have been a very successful sales driven service and repair company for the past 30 years.

·
I whore my R6
1,874 Posts
idea for advertising is to find a local bike night dealers will be promoting themselves but maybe find a resteraunt like hooters or a place with a big parking lot. approach them about starting a bike night. get the deal to be something like free sodas or 50 cent wings or something. then advertise it as ExtremeMoto bike night every wednesday at hooters. start up may be slow but after a while it will be a large attraction for local riders during the week. if you have a shop, do an open house with free food/ drink possibly use your bike night sponsor to get food from. those are sure fire ways to get some attraction

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You all have been really helpfull. I definitly like to hear other ideas, it gives me a new outlook that I probably wouldn't have thought of before. I am definity going to use a lot of the advertising ideas. This summer is going well so far, and next summer hopefully you all will see a lot more of us. Thanks again for all of your help.

·
Registered
592 Posts
You all have been really helpfull. I definitly like to hear other ideas, it gives me a new outlook that I probably wouldn't have thought of before. I am definity going to use a lot of the advertising ideas. This summer is going well so far, and next summer hopefully you all will see a lot more of us. Thanks again for all of your help.

Does your state have a MC licence only? If so do you require your customers to have it?....don't get me wrong I think this a brave venture but this country has gone to shit as far as letting folkks "try" this out...and a *****ing shame it is:thumbdown hope you rock & roll BUD:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks again for all of the replies, business is going well right now. We are starting out very small and working our way up. So far the only accidents I've had are people tipping the bike over in the driveway. Average damage is around 500 bucks, but people are good about it and they pay. Most of the time. I've come into some other issues with people trying to use other peoples licences...not so good. But besides that I'm having fun and hoping it works out. This is something that I've wanted to do for a while and getting it off the ground is the hardest part. If anyone knows anyone who might be interested, feel free to send them my way. :) And if anyone knows where I can get some cheap stickers let me know!

thanks.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Have you thought about GPS for the bikes? There is a cheap phone mod that you can do for under $79 per bike with a monthly fee of about 8 dollars a month. If the bike leaves a set perimeter or goes over a certain mph it will email and text you. You can also do live gps tracking via satellite to find it's exact location. I'll try to find the site, but it's located in a bike security thread on here. You would be able to tell whos been beating your bike or hitting tripple digits on the streets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts