Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
my life is a SNAFU
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have been doing pretty well learning my wheelies. the only problem is, as most of you know, the 07 r-6 is not the most wheelie friendly bike. I can really only wheelie first gear because the bike wont pop up second in a sit down. So i am looking to change my gear ratio so my gears are shorter making it easier to wheelie. The only problem is i dont want a stunters gear ratio. i still want to be able to cruise on the highway at 80 without winding the shit outta my engine. can anyone tell me what size sprockets they use or give me any advice on what ratio or chain size i should get?

·
Registered
558 Posts
theres mad threads on this on here so im sure someone is gonna come in and bug out on you but ill answer it for u ..

You could go a few options ... you can do stock chain size and just go down -1 in the front

or you could do a 520 conversion and go -1 +2 or -1 +3

I have -1 on the stock 532 chain on my 03 r6 it cost me 30 bucks for the sprocket and took like an hr to do... I get alot more low end tq now/less bog and clutch up in 1st sitting is mad easy... havent done too many in 2nd gear

i had -1 +2 on my 05 ninja 636 and that makes sitting down and wheeliing a lot easier as well as crazy acceleration but lower top end

·
my life is a SNAFU
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
theres mad threads on this on here so im sure someone is gonna come in and bug out on you but ill answer it for u ..

You could go a few options ... you can do stock chain size and just go down -1 in the front

or you could do a 520 conversion and go -1 +2 or -1 +3

I have -1 on the stock 532 chain on my 03 r6 it cost me 30 bucks for the sprocket and took like an hr to do... I get alot more low end tq now/less bog and clutch up in 1st sitting is mad easy... havent done too many in 2nd gear

i had -1 +2 on my 05 ninja 636 and that makes sitting down and wheeliing a lot easier as well as crazy acceleration but lower top end

Do you know a good place to order the parts?

·
Stunt Rider
7,977 Posts
I've got a 15/50t 520 setup for sale. LMK.

·
Suk it, Lee
19,071 Posts
I have the 06 and had alot of trouble getting it up in second, and I still have stock gearing. If you really dont want to change the sprockets, try a different technique to get it up. Take the bike to 7-8 revs, while still on the throttle, all in one motion pull the clutch in just enough to slip it give the bike a good bounce rev the engine a good amount ( start small and work your way up until it really flies up on you ) and pull up, just stay on the gas hard when the tire comes off the ground and it will fly right up for you. The key is to stay hard on the gas, and get past the fear. Guaranteed with some trial and error it will come up every time for you.

·
Stunt Rider
7,977 Posts
I have the 06 and had alot of trouble getting it up in second, and I still have stock gearing. If you really dont want to change the sprockets, try a different technique to get it up. Take the bike to 7-8 revs, while still on the throttle, all in one motion pull the clutch in just enough to slip it give the bike a good bounce rev the engine a good amount ( start small and work your way up until it really flies up on you ) and pull up, just stay on the gas hard when the tire comes off the ground and it will fly right up for you. The key is to stay hard on the gas, and get past the fear. Guaranteed with some trial and error it will come up every time for you.
I know this shop that sells "SKILLS" you're free to buy some if you'd like. Hit me up, I'll send you their link. :lmao

·
Registered
558 Posts
Do you know a good place to order the parts?
the stock size -1 i just had my dealer get for me...

otherwise for the full conversion kit try motomummy.com someone recommended that to me... if your doing it your self your gonn ahave to order the chain tool kit as well

·
Now you see me...
1,275 Posts
you need to give it more yut ugh!

·
Stunt Rider
7,977 Posts
Or you could buy my shit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts