Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Doin Work
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a 03 (R6 obviously) with @25K on it. Bike runs good, and when I did the maintenance last it all looked good, but I think I might have over looked the chain and sprockets when looking over it all.

Anyway I have a noticeable sound coming from the left side of the bike. It is kind ok a grinding/rubbing noise. The noise is not constant but about every half second or so, like its with the rotation of one on the sprockets or the chain or something. Well it seemed to get worse after I put new tires on so I figured I didn't have the chain adjusted right (mine seemed a little on the lose side), or maybe wasn't perfectly aligned. so I tightened it up, well that made it worse so I loosened it back up but kept it in with the range Yamaha suggest for slack, but it still makes a lot of noise, less but still to much.

I figure the next logical step, especially with the high miles and not knowing when it was all replaced is to get new sprockets and chains?

What do you guys think?

Also I searched some of that here and it made more questions than answered hence my post here.

1. I am thinking about going one tooth down in the front for a little more low end but no to much top end/mpg loss. any thoughts?

2. What sprocket and chain manufacturers do you guys suggest?

3. I keep hearing about a 520 conversion. what is it and what are the gains and losses of that?

Just want my bike to run right, and a little quieter, and maybe a tad quicker :)

·
candy red
7,505 Posts
the 520 is basicly a thinner chain. people usualy do a -1/+2 setup when doing a chain and sprocket replacement. it will take off your top end, you will be tapped out at about 140 give or take a little. bottem end will be crazy though. the bad part about it though is that when just crusing around you will be in higher rpms. it will reduce your mpg dont realy know by how much. your speedo will be off about 10% if you dont get a speedo healer of some sort with it (agg has speedo drd's i belive) -1 in the front will give you lower end without being to much taken off the top. sprokets brands that i know of are driven and vortex, ive heard good about both brands. ek chains are good but dont know what models are best....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts