Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 r6 i have a vortex sprocket now 50t on the back and 15 up
my question is what should i be running the bike is just a street bike never been on track by me. i like the vortex look to there sprockets, also i have chain jumping so i figure let me change it all. so what ratio should i go with?
p.s i bought the bike like this so i really know little about this.........:flex:

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
i run a 15/47 and i like that. gives me plenty of gas mileage, and im not revving to 8500 on the way to college. its about right at 7000.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:popcorn:well like i said i want some feedback because i have no idea what this means or even y the bike i bought is set up this way..... my question is that i do not race my bike and the chain is jumpimg so im going to replace it all now... so im asking what set up i sgould go with???????:drink

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I would go with the same setup that you have right now. Also make sure there is a speedo healer or something to that effect already installed, if there isnt, your speedo is way off

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
Well do you want better gas mileage or do you want the bike to still have some power down low if you need it and to make it a little easier riding around town?

So I'll make a small list of gearing options from stock with the best gas mileage and lowest power to less gas mileage and more power from top to bottom, with ratios and gearing change.
16/48=3.00, stock
16/50=3.125, stock/+2
15/47=3.133, -1/-1
16/51=3.188, stock/+3
15/48=3.2, -1/stock
16/52=3.25, stock/+4
15/49=3.267, -1/+1
16/53=3.313, stock/+5
15/50=3.333, -1/+2

So your setup is the last one, 15/50=3.33, -1/+2. Anything in that list below the blue will be more aggressive than stock gearing.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you very much. i guess im going to stick with the same set up i have right now.
thank you once again

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea i dont know if the guy before me changed the chain. i just went out and a 16t vortex front sprocket. i am heading back there to go get a 520 chain i know the back sprocket looks really good. so im not going to change that. just the chain and front sprocket. i hope its easy and i will be able to do it my self

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
dude...removing the back wheel is CAKE. just literally undo the nut on the side of the axle while the rear tire is in the air. once you do that, push the axle thru and the tire falls out. thats it. push it forward and you should be able to slide the chain off too. SUPER easy. to put it back together, loop the chain around. use a foot and hand combo to lift the tire making sure the brake disk slides into the caliper. use your foot to hold the height of the tire, and a hand to control the angle. use the other had to stuff the axle thru. tighten axle to proper torque spec. DONE

and OP...any of those options listed above will work well. the closer(or even lower) to the 3.000 ratio, the better gas mileage you will get, and have a higher top speed. however, you also lose a bit of acceleration and low end grunt. the higher the gear ratio(further above 3.000), you get the opposite of what i listed. i would not recommend any more than the -1/+2 setup, unless you do little highway riding. as you raise the gear ratio, the front end also comes up easier.

and the comment about the speedo healer. it isnt NEEDED. its a convenience and just that. i dont use one and never will. my bike is going 10.1% slower than what it says. that just means if it says i am going 50, i am only doing 45. to figure that error out, just get on a back road and run the bike until the speedo says 100 with a gps in your pocket. have the top speed reset before making the run. hold that "100" for about 5 seconds if possible. dont go above. then stop, read the top speed on gps. 100-gps speed=% error

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i replaced my chain! them ****ing people at mountain motor sports gave me the wrong front sprocket!!!!!! so i put the new chain on and the front sprocket still has noise up there!!! now i have to wait till monday because they r closed on sundays.....
so now i eliminated the chain as my problem.

the only other thing i can possibly think is it being the front sprocket... it sounds like a rumbling noise up there
and other suggestions?

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
what do you mean the wrong front sprocket? im thinking youre hearing the natural sound of the sprockets. the stocker has a sound reducing thingamuhjigger on it. aftermarket doesnt. they are naturally louder

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im saying they sold me an r1 sprocket and it does not fit............. it sounds like a weird noise up there by the front sprocket..... i have read also that after market sprockets make noise... yes i'm aware or that.. but this noise sounds crazy and the chain jumps around alot...

i was told chain jump= bad sprocket
back was changed dont think the front was

feedback please would help

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
jebova2301: I've said that for a long time. I don't use a speedo correcting device either. It's nice to have it correct and most do. Call me old school, but I can do the math in my head and the % difference it's off isn't enough to hinder resale. Nobody will pay more for a bike with 10k miles vs 11.5k or something.

The front sprockets are different from the r1 to the r6. The rear sprockets are the same for the r1 and r6.

If the chain jumps you should replace the chain and both sprockets. I would anyway.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
you just made me speshul...you pulled one of my posts from a long time ago. or at least i think it was from a long time ago

1 - 20 of 21 Posts