Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a stock 2009 R6s that I do track days with. Some mentioned to me that I should do a sprocket change to make the bike a little quicker. I have never change the sprockets. Could some one help me decide what sprockets to go with?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hello all, I have a stock 2009 R6s that I do track days with. Some mentioned to me that I should do a sprocket change to make the bike a little quicker. I have never change the sprockets. Could some one help me decide what sprockets to go with?

Best answer, depends. I'll link some reading gleaned off the board at the end of this post.

If the track is small and the straights are short, you might not mind losing some top end you can't use, so you might want something extreme like -1 +4. If you just want some snap and don't mind sacrificing some off the top, -1 +2. If you want to change it a little bit, maybe add one in the rear, or drop one in the front.

Gear ratios are like icecream, there's no bad flavor. They definitely taste different though.

Some threads to read.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
To add to the great advice above, think of your bicycle.
It'll help to go for a ride on the bicycle, switching gears.

The front gear is your multiplier (huge changes). The rear gear is a single-step (small changes).

For my ten-speed bicycle, the low top-end makes using the smaller sprocket at the front almost useless. On the smaller front it's easy to wheelie the bicycle on take-off; just on torque. Depending on which sprocket the front is on, you can be in first gear or jump straight to sixth gear.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,393 Posts
For most tracks I used to gear the bike so I would hit redline (or peak power) in the top used gear at the fastest point of the track. I chose which target depending on how it affected shift points in other parts of the track. And I say top gear used because that may not always be 6th gear if it is a very tight track.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the advice, most of the tracks are small, the biggest track would be Road Atlanta or barber. I may come back with more questions.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks all for the advice, most of the tracks are small, the biggest track would be Road Atlanta or barber. I may come back with more questions.

The best answers you can get come from experience bud, but feel free to ask what you've got. My .02 is free.

·
2 wheels > 4 wheels
168 Posts
Ah, gearing!
What turn(s) are you losing the most time at? What gear and what RPMs at that turn(s) with current gearing? You would want to be a little below the power band surge when coming out of that turn, so it will have to be adjusted to those ratios.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts