Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Yes I have used the search option for sprockets but never got a direct answer. I also read dramas on sprockets.

I just need to know. Which sprocket have you used with no issues?

For a 520 conversion

Superlite RS7
Driven (steel)
Pitbull
Vortex

Thanks.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
You actually searched and couldnt find an answer to this question? i call shenanigans.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
I've used Vortex and driven. Both have issues with wear and tear.

Oh wait!!! All sprockets wear and tear over time........ Haha!!!!!!

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I've used Vortex and driven. Both have issues with wear and tear.

Oh wait!!! All sprockets wear and tear over time........ Haha!!!!!!
blasphemy.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,255 Posts
13,000 miles on this one. Vortex AL w/ hard anodized coating. Proper chain maintenance and alignment are EVERYTHING! Only reason I ganged it was because the chain was getting a bit funky (some o-rings showing signs of cracks developing, and a couple of very slight kinks that cleaning wasn't solving).

Edit: What looks funny on the top teeth, isn't wear, but grease build-up that I didn't wipe off before the pic.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah. So is this something I should change, like, every time I change the oil filter? Because they're right next to each other so makes sense. amirite?

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
supersprox /thread

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah. So is this something I should change, like, every time I change the oil filter? Because they're right next to each other so makes sense. amirite?
:yes

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey man! im new to this forum so bare with me haha. i just got a 520 conversion done yesterday and let me tell you.... its amazing and amazing smooth! so what i did was go with SUNSTAR sprockets. I dropped a tooth in front (15t) and stayed with the same amount of teeth in the rear (45t). The guy i went to gave me much needed info and tried to help me out, so that was an advantage. He recommended a 525 o-ring chain since the conversion may eat up the 520 chain rather quickly. But, i guess the sunstar sprockets needed a 520 chain. So we went with a D.I.D x-ring 520 chain. If you do not know, there are 0-ring, x-ring, and i believe y-ring? chains. Well the o-ring chain is the cheapest and has less cushioning/padding so it will tear up the chain faster. Then its the x-ring chain and that chain is suppose to last longer and it is several bucks more. well, overall i am content with the outcome of the finishing adjustments! I believe i do not need a speedhealer but i can tell the difference. My mph is about 5-10 mph faster but that is ok. Let me know if you have any questions!

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
hey man! im new to this forum so bare with me haha. i just got a 520 conversion done yesterday and let me tell you.... its amazing and amazing smooth! so what i did was go with SUNSTAR sprockets. I dropped a tooth in front (15t) and stayed with the same amount of teeth in the rear (45t). The guy i went to gave me much needed info and tried to help me out, so that was an advantage. He recommended a 525 o-ring chain since the conversion may eat up the 520 chain rather quickly. But, i guess the sunstar sprockets needed a 520 chain. So we went with a D.I.D x-ring 520 chain. If you do not know, there are 0-ring, x-ring, and i believe y-ring? chains. Well the o-ring chain is the cheapest and has less cushioning/padding so it will tear up the chain faster. Then its the x-ring chain and that chain is suppose to last longer and it is several bucks more. well, overall i am content with the outcome of the finishing adjustments! I believe i do not need a speedhealer but i can tell the difference. My mph is about 5-10 mph faster but that is ok. Let me know if you have any questions!
That's right bub, o-ring, x-ring & w-ring. Make sure to adjust the chain after a few hundred miles. It'll loosen up and stretch a little.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
That's right bub, o-ring, x-ring & w-ring. Make sure to adjust the chain after a few hundred miles. It'll loosen up and stretch a little.
:eek5

Chains STRETCH?!?!?!

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts