Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have about 1200 miles on my bike.......just a few days ago...my bike brake start to squeek during stopping. the sqeek only happens every now and than, and only during the speed right before a complete stop. I can also feel a light sqeek/vibration on the left ped.

Any idea?

·
Registered
347 Posts
my 04 r6 has the same problem.

i sent it back to the dealer to check (under warranty)

it's long weeken so i will get it back later

but i'll up date you on what they said

·
Registered
409 Posts
get some high temp lube and lube the contact points of the pads and the calipers

G

·
03r6sbk said:
from what ?
Sometimes they dont grind up all the material that they use to make brake pads and a chunk of it will be in there and cause squeaks. And if it is not fixed in a good time frame then it could put ridges into your rotors.

·
Registered
409 Posts
that would make more of a grinding noise and considered a warranty issue then imo

G

·
03r6sbk said:
that would make more of a grinding noise and considered a warranty issue then imo
It is a warranty issue but they do make a squeeking noise. It might be a little different than usuall but you probably wouldnt notice the difference unless you were listening for it. Its happened to my friends f4i before and we didnt notice a difference in the sound so we just thought the pads were worn out.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
my 03 use to speek all the time i got it checked and they said the brakes are fine. i dont know what the problem was its starting to go away at 11,114 miles :twisted:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'm going to try the hard braking thing later tonite. I look at the pad, and it looks fine. My friend said to try to use brake cleaner to clean the pad. I'm thinking about trying this, and see how it goes.

·
Registered
327 Posts
pull the thing you ran over out. sometimes, they don't die right away and get stuck in between the fenders on your wheels and just squeak and stuff. it's annoying. :roll:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Get yourself some brake cleaner, take the calipers off (it's only 4 bolts). Then squeeze your brake lever a couple times with the calipers off. What that does is exposes more of the caliper pistons, then take your brake cleaner and spray the shit out of both calipers (spray the pistons). Then gently use a flat head screwdriver to push the pads back towards the outside of the calipers (you have to get them back on your rotors right ??). Before you put the calipers back on, spray the surface of the pads. Don't be scared to use your brake cleaner..... Then put the calipers back on. I think the recommended torque setting for the caliper bolts is 37 ft/lbs (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR PADS BACK IN PLACE BEFORE YOU RIDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TO DO THIS JUST PULL ON YOUR BRAKE LEVER ABOUT TEN TIMES

DO NOT !!!!!!! Just pull your bike out of your garage and take off. MAKE SURE your pads are seated properly before you go for a ride.

I don't know if that will take care of the "squeaking" or not, but it'll eliminate dirty pads as a suspect...

:cheers
AL

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
You might have glazed them. (too hot and they get really smooth)
Try some 100 grit sandpaper, with the pads off the bike, sand the surface until it's rough, spray well with brake parts cleaner, then reinstall.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oK, so last week i finally picked up a can of brake cleaner, and spay my back brakes with it.........after letting it dry.......took it for a ride, the sqeeky brake is gone.

Thanks for everyone guys :cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts