Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My track bike also happens to be my commuter. With 5 days a week of 30+ mile round trip to work, vs ~1 track day a month I've ended up with some pretty square tires.

The track days are pretty new to me, so I'm still on my first set of tires (regular Pilot Powers) that have been subjugated to track duty. I've noticed they've really lost their shape lately - the bike barely leans when turning 90 degree corners around town, but there's still plenty of tread left. Is this going to be bad news the next time I get out to the track? It seems silly to ditch a set of tires when they've still got 50% tread left. I'm running a fast beginner / slow intermediate group pace.

My next set is definitely going to be a multi compound tire, so that should help. My R1 has been off the road for awhile too, but should be rolling again to help soak up some of the commuting miles. I think long-term I'm going to ditch the R1 for something more reasonable as a daily driver and let the R6 be for track/canyons only.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hard to say without pics, but I'd say you'd probably have a hard time passing tech at the track with some cupped tires like that. :)
There's no cupping yet, the profile is just flattened out.

Also, paying to have tires mounted twice every time I go to the track doesn't sound too appealing either. I might have to price out a second set of wheels...

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
I'd say switch the order of your tire use ... use the new ones for the track (you'll wear the far edges quickly), then take those to the street where you can square them up.

I sell race tire takeoffs all the time. They're like new in the middle of the tread.

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,904 Posts
I'd say switch the order of your tire use ... use the new ones for the track (you'll wear the far edges quickly), then take those to the street where you can square them up.

I sell race tire takeoffs all the time. They're like new in the middle of the tread.
This is good advice...but the take offs you're mentioning. These DOT race, race, street?

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Not quite sure what you mean... it's not like I have a choice. If it were up to me, I'd be ought on the track every day of the week. I go as often as I can, which is about once a month, but the bike gets ridden on the street pretty much every day in between.

Anyway! I've got a longer term solution to my tire woes planned out. In the short term, I'm really looking for feedback on if a squared off tire is actually going to cause any issues on the track - ie, am I going to get a smaller contact patch or less grip when leaned over? Or is it just going to transistion to lean a little funny cause the profile is different?

·
Knee drags YOU!
1,167 Posts
am I going to get a smaller contact patch or less grip when leaned over? Or is it just going to transistion to lean a little funny cause the profile is different?
At the point where the squared off meets the rest of the tire, you are going to get a funny lean transition, and you'll have a reduced contact patch only at that point.

Not sure if you'd pass tech. Call them and ask.

·
Sticky-side-down.
465 Posts
If you are racking up the miles on a commute, then you should look into getting some pilot road 2's. I have heard nothing but praise for those guys, and they should get you fantastic mileage. As for the square tires that are on there, you will have some lack of traction on the flop, as you will temporarily be asking for traction from a smaller surface as you lean the bike over. This means no trail breaking essentially.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you are at the track once a month you will start to realize that tires are not something you want to skimp on. Get a second set of rims or just another track only bike. Tires keep you attached to the pavement so start budgeting for tires even if it means you can only go to the track once a month or save up in the off season for tires to go every month

·
Registered
458 Posts
Not sure how squared off you are talking either. We talking like LMGM's tires,
, or like
?

Reason i mention it, is i also commute, sometimes 140miles roundtrip, but typically 70miles a day and only end up with chicken strips on the edge. Perhaps you can change your riding style and get better performance from them on the street, and then they are still useable on the track.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
Not quite sure what you mean... it's not like I have a choice. If it were up to me, I'd be ought on the track every day of the week. I go as often as I can, which is about once a month, but the bike gets ridden on the street pretty much every day in between.

Anyway! I've got a longer term solution to my tire woes planned out. In the short term, I'm really looking for feedback on if a squared off tire is actually going to cause any issues on the track - ie, am I going to get a smaller contact patch or less grip when leaned over? Or is it just going to transistion to lean a little funny cause the profile is different?
Maybe I don't understand what you mean, also.

Thinking your use through here, I'd guess a set of tires might last you two track days where you wear the edges of the tire. (one a month, so two months).

Combine that with your street riding where you square the tire (30 miles a day, times 20 days a month = 600-800 miles a month, times 2 months is maybe 1500 street miles) So on the same set of tires you'd run street and track, you'd get 1500 street miles and 2 track days. That's pretty good.

I was saying that I'd rather start with new tires on the track and make them "V", then use them on the street for a month where you'd flatten them into a "U", then back to the track, then street. Get it?

Starting with your new rubber on the track, and finishing them off on the street.

Make sense now? Dual compound street tires like the Pilot Pure are fantastic.

Good advice on the Pilot Roads, too. I've used these on the rear with great results, but never as track tire.

-D

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe I don't understand what you mean, also.

Thinking your use through here, I'd guess a set of tires might last you two track days where you wear the edges of the tire. (one a month, so two months).

Combine that with your street riding where you square the tire (30 miles a day, times 20 days a month = 600-800 miles a month, times 2 months is maybe 1500 street miles) So on the same set of tires you'd run street and track, you'd get 1500 street miles and 2 track days. That's pretty good.

I was saying that I'd rather start with new tires on the track and make them "V", then use them on the street for a month where you'd flatten them into a "U", then back to the track, then street. Get it?

Starting with your new rubber on the track, and finishing them off on the street.

Make sense now? Dual compound street tires like the Pilot Pure are fantastic.

Good advice on the Pilot Roads, too. I've used these on the rear with great results, but never as track tire.

-D
Ah, well, I think I'm way slower than you, cause I'm getting way more than 2 track days out of my tires. :) I've done 5 days on the same set of Pilot Powers so far, and they still don't look all that beat up. I'm running a borderline beginner/intermediate pace, so I'm no where near pushing the limits of the tires yet.

I don't think my tires are nearly as bad as the pictures from Mikesyamahar6, but the turn-in is definitely different from a brand new set.

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,904 Posts
How about this. I'm lookin' to do a TD at Barber on the 24th. This is the PP2CT I have on the rear. Probably has a couple thousand street miles on it with one TD so far.

I hope I'll pass tech... :sing

Attachments

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
How about this. I'm lookin' to do a TD at Barber on the 24th. This is the PP2CT I have on the rear. Probably has a couple thousand street miles on it with one TD so far.

I hope I'll pass tech... :sing

You'll do fine, GIjoe. Not even close the wear bars yet.

Fallis, 5 track days on a set of tires and they don't look worn yet? You need to pick up the pace, my friend! :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts