Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: My front breaks squeak ever since I bought the bike. Has this happened to anyone else and is there something you can do? :stupic

·
Registered
494 Posts
My rear has always squeaked. Not that I use it much. But my front has started to squeak since I had the front wheel of changing the tyres.
It's really dusty here so it may just need a blast of water to dislodge a speck of sand. Just stick the nozzle of the hose in around your pads and give it a blast. THat may help.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
cant say ive had the prob yet, but blast a little bit of brake cleaner on the pad area, but dont let it pool up in your rims cause it will eat your paint of em.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
sschulz said:
:?: My front breaks squeak ever since I bought the bike. Has this happened to anyone else and is there something you can do? :stupic
aloha, sschulz. i have an '03 and my brakes squeak also. but i dont worry about it. its just the rotors being glazed and living in paradise has its downfalls. for me i always drive by the beach to go to work. and just the salt air causes minute rust from building up on the bare metal rotors. just that surface rust causes a vibration in the brake pads when applying the brakes. which in turn transfers the vibration to the guide pins and then to the calipers then we hear the awful squeak.

if is that irritating my suggestion is to scuff up your rotors with like 220 sand paper to get rid of the glaze or shine. you could also benefit from lightly sanding the pads as well. that should get rid of the squeak.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:cheers Yeah that's what i thought. I'm looking into some new wavy rotors and after market brakes so we will see. You every hit the track out here?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine make a lil noise all the time..no worries tho..just has some people look around to see who the *** is with bad brakes..lol..J/K...but STONE..thats a great idea...makes perfect sense~Brandon

·
Jonesing for a R6
162 Posts
stoneloco808 said:
aloha, sschulz. i have an '03 and my brakes squeak also. but i dont worry about it. its just the rotors being glazed and living in paradise has its downfalls. for me i always drive by the beach to go to work. and just the salt air causes minute rust from building up on the bare metal rotors. just that surface rust causes a vibration in the brake pads when applying the brakes. which in turn transfers the vibration to the guide pins and then to the calipers then we hear the awful squeak.

if is that irritating my suggestion is to scuff up your rotors with like 220 sand paper to get rid of the glaze or shine. you could also benefit from lightly sanding the pads as well. that should get rid of the squeak.
I'm gonna try this as well on my '85 nighthawk. They started squeaking about 2 months ago and I finally got a chance to take the front brakes off(plus check out my main and clean them real good with brake cleaner and all (there was a LOT of brake grime and dust in there). Also replaced all brake fuild and cleaned out master cylinder and resivour as it had some gooey, jelly like, yellow stuff causing problems with the brake being jerky.

They stopped squeaking for a bit, but then started again, although not nearly as bad.

I still need to get my back brake off to check it out. It is a drum brake, so any ideas on that? Try the 220 grit paper as well?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Not to dig up an old thread, but I have owned my 04 R6 for about 2 weeks now and the brakes front and rear are a little squeaky at full stops, I usually downshift to slow down most of the time, but when I do use the brakes to come to a complete stop they are pretty squeaky and annoying, has anyone found a remedy? My pads look pretty good and the bike only has 3k on it so I dont think it would need new ones, what can I do?

·
Its in the 10's now
680 Posts
I blow mine out with an air hose before I wash the bike and the squeak is gone. I haven't had the squeak in a long time either since I figured this out.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It just seems like you shouldnt have to do anything extra to not have brake squeaks....I never had this problem with any of my other bikes...

·
Registered
28 Posts
ive wiped down the discs with rubbing alcohol and then have some1 pour it down on to the pads while you hold the bike up....becareful the first few times after you do this...brakes really grab

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
Scrap your pads with sandpaper, as suggested earlier by someone else. That is the proper way to remove the glaze. I wouldn't use any chemicals on my brake pads.

·
My R6 eats V8s, even mine
88 Posts
Paytheon said:
Scrap your pads with sandpaper, as suggested earlier by someone else. That is the proper way to remove the glaze. I wouldn't use any chemicals on my brake pads.
the rotors are what glaze over, though. it's not the pads.

·
Registered
198 Posts
So you think just going over them a little with some sandpaper or something would help, would I just use a high grit low abrasive?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts