Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
King of the Hopeless
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recommendations for SS brake lines for a 2006. I have EBC Sintered pads with stock rotors.

Also what brake fluid are you using? DOT 4?

Thanks in advance.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
stick with Dot 4.. ZERO need for anything else. I run stock Yamaha fluid right off the shelf.
GO with these guys. http://www.coremoto.com/ Great price of $138 for front AND rear ss lines, any color combo you want ! sweet stuff.

Personally, i went with the stealth look, with TITANIUM fittings ( way more $$ ) :)

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Just ordered them and told them you recommended it.
Sweet . It's a nice family owned company right here in FL where i live.

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
I have three manufacturers of SS lines on four bikes. They are all great quality. Core is a great product and the free rear line is a deal. Even though I haven't installed it yet. I use DOT 5.1 because there is no reason not to use the best. It's cheap. Never confuse 5 with 5.1.

·
King of the Hopeless
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What makes 5.1 better than 4.0? Doesn't it degrade faster? This is for primarily street riding.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
What makes 5.1 better than 4.0? Doesn't it degrade faster? This is for primarily street riding.
You are never gonna notice the difference...use whatever is available and go riding.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Interesting you race with the stock fluid.
why is it interesting? DOT 4 is dot 4.. the only time i have seen anyone NEED better fluid, is Castrol SRF ($100 a pint) for suzuki brakes. The calipers suck, and they generate lots of heat, creating consistent fade with anything less than SRF fluid if you are a fast racer..
For the yamaha ? anything more than stock Yamaha Dot4 is a waste.. (imho)

I have three manufacturers of SS lines on four bikes. They are all great quality. Core is a great product and the free rear line is a deal. Even though I haven't installed it yet. I use DOT 5.1 because there is no reason not to use the best. It's cheap. Never confuse 5 with 5.1.
5.1 is just not needed on an r6 though, street or full on racing .. or in most bikes for that matter.. it won't hurt anything, and if you want to use it, great. But it's not needed.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
I've been torn between fren tubo type 4 and some core moto w/ ti fittings.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I've been torn between fren tubo type 4 and some core moto w/ ti fittings.
Give Luke a call at CM. i am not positive on the price of the core moto TI fitting lines, but be prepared for at least 2x the cost of the incredible price they offer for non-ti fitting lines. Dang they are sweet though.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
I looked into it and they are both about 200 for the set. I like core for the lifetime warranty and made in America, but everyone raves about fren tubo. I tried to find warranty info for fren tubo and came up empty so far.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
I looked into it and they are both about 200 for the set. I like core for the lifetime warranty and made in America, but everyone raves about fren tubo. I tried to find warranty info for fren tubo and came up empty so far.
I liked my Fren Tubo's, but there wasn't anything special about them. Gotta acknowledge that there are a lot of brand kool-aid drinkers on the internet, and especially on this forum. But I'm sure you already know that. :D

I highly doubt anyone on this forum could ride a bike back to back with different brand of brake lines and be able to tell the difference between the two.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
I liked my Fren Tubo's, but there wasn't anything special about them. Gotta acknowledge that there are a lot of brand kool-aid drinkers on the internet, and especially on this forum. But I'm sure you already know that. :D

I highly doubt anyone on this forum could ride a bike back to back with different brand of brake lines and be able to tell the difference between the two.
:werd over the years I've noticed a lot of that kool aid here. -1+2 gearing anyone lol
That pretty much sold me on core moto. If the fren tubos are nothing special I'd rather support local small business. Plus if they are good enough for melk man and some AMA riders i'm sure they will be plenty enough for me.

·
Formerly UnknownResource
490 Posts

+1 on every last bit of this.

sent while on the move

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I looked into it and they are both about 200 for the set. I like core for the lifetime warranty and made in America, but everyone raves about fren tubo (made in Italy). I tried to find warranty info for fren tubo and came up empty so far.
anyone telling you one brand of line is going to perform better than another ?? lol.. :) have to agree that none of us will likely be able to tell the difference in one brand vs another on the bike.

i like the core moto stuff even though I doubt they work any better than other brands, but they look sweet. as you stated, lifetime warranty made in USA. there are other good brake line companies! Speigler, galfer, fren.. but not for the price core moto offers, and lifetime warranty, and as many color choices.. otherwise, brake lines are brake lines.

And for those wondering about the $200 price tag, that is for TITANIUM fittings ;) $138 front AND rear sets in anything other than TI

there is no "rave" or difference in lines, unless you choose the design.. 2 individual lines may have a different feel (to a world class rider) than a 1 into 2 design that is popular with roadrace bikes. I personally like the 2 into 1 as there is a little more volume of fluid, but lines are all the same diameter unless you specify narrow diameter tubing..

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
why is it interesting? DOT 4 is dot 4.. the only time i have seen anyone NEED better fluid, is Castrol SRF ($100 a pint) for suzuki brakes. The calipers suck, and they generate lots of heat, creating consistent fade with anything less than SRF fluid if you are a fast racer..
For the yamaha ? anything more than stock Yamaha Dot4 is a waste.. (imho)

5.1 is just not needed on an r6 though, street or full on racing .. or in most bikes for that matter.. it won't hurt anything, and if you want to use it, great. But it's not needed.
As fast as you are im am surprised you don't need something with a higher bp.

I used to run synthetic valvoline and never had issues until I decided just to try motul rbf and the brake lever feel is a lot better. Not harder but like it doesn't compress as easy and I need less effort to squeeze.
Graves runs ap in the bikes.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
As fast as you are im am surprised you don't need something with a higher bp.

I used to run synthetic valvoline and never had issues until I decided just to try motul rbf and the brake lever feel is a lot better. Not harder but like it doesn't compress as easy and I need less effort to squeeze.
Graves runs ap in the bikes.
Don't forget your 03-04 rotors are 300mm+- , not the larger 310mm rotors with redial mounted calipers that were introduced on the 05-current models (non S).
Graves may run some special stuff, but they are likely getting it free. I ran the $80/pint Castrol SRF fluid in my yamahas for awhile.. till i tried something like just a quality but wayyyy less expensive dot4 and didn't have issues. No more $80/pint fluid for me.
It's POSSIBLE, that if i were on an R1 and braking from 195mph on a regular basis, i would need a better fluid. Those speeds are just not possible on an r6.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts