Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, in my quest to shave more weight off my bike, im starting to purchase some Ti, tho its just a bit at a time.
these are Pro Bolt Ti caliper bolts that are pre drilled for safety wire.
eventually i hope to have all pinch bolts, front and rear axle, brake rotor and sprocket bolts in Titanium. im going for reducing unsprung and rotational weight more than sprung weight, im getting an Akrapovic Evo system and Marchesini wheels as well over the winter when i get my work bonus.

this is an expensive hobby....

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
Awesome!!! FYI, Pro Bolt Ti is no longer what it used to be. I think the majority of it is now made in China. Personally, I use Poggipollini or LLS both out of Italy. A little more spendy, but none better IMO. I've also sourced Ti out of Yoyodyne here in the US.

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome!!! FYI, Pro Bolt Ti is no longer what it used to be. I think the majority of it is now made in China. Personally, I use Poggipollini or LLS both out of Italy. A little more spendy, but none better IMO. I've also sourced Ti out of Yoyodyne here in the US.
these are new old stock pro bolt, the package is a few years old.
i have a few yoyo stuff too.

im already in good shape, so loosing body weight isnt in the cards.
i want to get the bike down to a wet weight of 370 pounds.

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
That's a pretty ambitious weight goal. Been down that route on a ZX-10R. Here are some things that might help you (Ti bolts throughout will save you 3-7 lbs. depending on application): RCS Ti shock spring, Ti rear rotor, Ti axles, full Ti exhaust, carbon tank/bodywork, carbon wheels, CMC ceramic composite rotors, carbon clipons, carbon monocoque tailsection (should save you 8-10 lbs alone), Fren tubo carbon or kevlar lines with aluminum fittings (for bling, the carbonio lines can be ordered with Ti banjos, and Ti Poggipollini fittings). I assume by wet weight, you mean fully wet; this should get you close.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
While this might seem cool at first... Are you that fast that you need to save weight with TI bolts? Bullshit. There are a lot better things to spend your money on.

Improve your riding with track days and race schools, that's where the seconds you want to shave are located.

The pre-safety wiring is nice, but just do it yourself.

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
ceo; said:
While this might seem cool at first... Are you that fast that you need to save weight with TI bolts? Bullshit. There are a lot better things to spend your money on.

Improve your riding with track days and race schools, that's where the seconds you want to shave are located.

The pre-safety wiring is nice, but just do it yourself.
You will go through a lot of drill bits trying to drill safety wire holes in titanium fasteners...

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
I meant safety wire the regular bolts yourself...

The whole titanium fastener thing in the firstplace is an unnecessary waste of money...
Depends on how you look at it. Riding an ultralight bike with big horsepower is an absolute blast. A few years ago, I was trying to build a 340-lb 998R, but I had a hard time sourcing a spare motor.

I know what you are saying, but by your logic, most over $150 performance mods are unnecessay as 95% of the riders can't get everything out of their stock bikes.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I know what you are saying, but by your logic, most over $150 performance mods are unnecessay as 95% of the riders can't get everything out of their stock bikes.
That's a good point... but most of the mods I've done to my bike are for ergonomics, clearance, and crash worthiness. The exhaust was a treat to myself with some insurance money ;)

It just seems the cost/benefit of titanium weight-saving bolts is a bit over the top, ya know what I mean?

·
Lets ride.
4,371 Posts
Depends on how you look at it. Riding an ultralight bike with big horsepower is an absolute blast. A few years ago, I was trying to build a 340-lb 998R, but I had a hard time sourcing a spare motor.

:!:

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
ceo; said:
That's a good point... but most of the mods I've done to my bike are for ergonomics, clearance, and crash worthiness. The exhaust was a treat to myself with some insurance money ;)

It just seems the cost/benefit of titanium weight-saving bolts is a bit over the top, ya know what I mean?
I hear ya, but I'm sort of the wrong person to ask considering I have an arguably unhealthy obsession with bikes and all things bike related.

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the bike is currently 385 pounds ready to ride, i still have a bit more i can get out of her w/o going over the top, the exhaust and wheels im getting soon should remove another 10-12 pounds total.
the rest will be small things here and there to get to 370.

this may be pointless to some, but i see a lot of people wasting money on mods to make the bike look better. my whole bike is purpose built for the track, plus i plan on keeping it until it is so clapped out, it wont pass tech, lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts