Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good bike to start out with?? I really hate to take any chances on a perfectly good R6...gonna wait till im a little experienced before i jump on that Rocket.

So, good starting bike...let me know suggestions i was thinking like a 02 R6 or just an older model i can get for not a BUNCH BUNCH of money.

·
Registered
951 Posts
you wont want an 02 for beginning. at 10k miles they have a ever-so-popular 2nd gear problem. search the forums for first bike you will get a ton of results for threads just like this. :cheers

·
looking for more curves
1,881 Posts
First bikes are always a good question to ask.

If you have riding experience and are not crazy while driving you could get away with a R6 as a 1st bike.

If you have no riding experience then your best bet is to fine a bike that is not so rev/speed/wheelie happy as an R6.

- 600R's are sporty but not as rev/speed/wheelie happy - Plus is a Yamaha
- Katana's (sp???) are the same way.
- The Buell Blast is a sporty looking bike, but has a whole 34 HP. It is a great bike to learn to ride a sportbike if you do not want to A. spend much, and B. have more power then you know what to do with.

My. $.02

·
Registered
181 Posts
i started on a 93' Yamaha FZR, it was a great beginner bike. I got an excellent deal on it, somethng like $3100, it had extremely low mileage and mint condition, i had it for 3 years and sold it for $2800. Can't beat that...riding a bike for 3 years and only spending $300 for it. It still had your power if you wanted to do wheelies and crap like that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My first was an 84 Honda VF500 Interceptor. One of the original sportbikes. that was a fun machine. I laid it down and you couldnt even tell they were built so heavy back then. I paid 1000 for it, put on new tires and fixed a bunch of crap, and when I sold it a year later I still made money. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
416 Posts
i started off with a ninja 500R which is 500cc's i figured out the gears and balance (somewaht atleast) in the first 30 mins .. but it doesn't always happen like that ... i just bought my 04 R6 band new bout 3 weeks ago...

anybody have suggestions on poppin wheelies? i tired didn't wrk ... i can't get the front wheel in the air .. help me out

·
looking for more curves
1,881 Posts
Suhas said:
i started off with a ninja 500R which is 500cc's i figured out the gears and balance (somewaht atleast) in the first 30 mins .. but it doesn't always happen like that ... i just bought my 04 R6 band new bout 3 weeks ago...

anybody have suggestions on poppin wheelies? i tired didn't wrk ... i can't get the front wheel in the air .. help me out
I'm sure that you know, if you can't control your bike comfortably yet, wheelies might not be a good idea.

Anyways, check out the How To section on www.stuntlife.com. They have a great article for "How do I wheelie, like I see in the videos". - j/k... not really :hammer

basically you have 2 main ways to get the front end up.
1. power wheelies
--- uses strictly engine power to bring up the front end.
--- in 1st you would get p to about 9-10K, let off the throttle until about 8K and give i a quick "blurp"
blurp: a quick twist of the throttle
--- use too much blurp and you will end up on your back, even more so since your in 1st.
~~~ another power wheelie inculdes bounching and blurping in 2nd gear
~~~ much hard IMO, and since your speed much higher then the 1st gear one, your crash will be much worse.

2. clutching it up
--- very dangerous
--- do not try this in 1st gear

--- In 2nd gear get up to about 7-9K pull the clutch in, rev up to about 10-11k and drop the clutch.
--- Oh yeah, HOLD ON.

That's the quick and dirty on wheelies.... Mind you that I stuck at them :hammer

Also only do them a little at a time until you get comfortable getting the wheel in the air; and take it slow.. No use looping the bike on your 1st attempt...

That brings up another thing, doing a lot of stunts.... get a POS stunt bike and beat it even more, leave the R6 for the ladies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.