Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short... My bike was out in the rain and i guess my vortex gas cap wasn't screwed all the way down and a decent amount of water got into the tank. I emptied the tank and the drained the fuel pump. I think that enough water got into the system that its making it bog down still.

So far everything i've done to fix it has been, brand new plugs, emptied and dried the tank and recharged the battery and it turns over now but wont start up.

So i'm thinking about grabbing a can of starting fluid on the way home tonight just to get it going to burn off the residual water thats still left in the system. Ive heard pros and cons of using it, and wanted to hear some arguments for or against it before i give it a shot...?

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Before you do that, are you sure the kill switch isn't on? Happened to me on more than one occasion...

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Both that and the kill switch on the handlebar.

But a quick spray of starting fluid in the intake will tell you right off the bat if it's a fueling issue or not!

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Id be more worried you tried cranking with water in the system. Good way to cause hydro lock. But Im still not understanding how water penetrated the vortex cap, even loose? It has very fine threads and youd need to park it under a water fall or serious water source. I had mine loose (like 1 turn) and some fuel seeped out from me doing wheelies & street racing.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Id be more worried you tried cranking with water in the system. Good way to cause hydro lock. But Im still not understanding how water penetrated the vortex cap, even loose? It has very fine threads and youd need to park it under a water fall or serious water source. I had mine loose (like 1 turn) and some fuel seeped out from me doing wheelies & street racing.
I just raised the BS flag (in my head) and assumed he's got a pissed off ex or pissed somebody off and they put something in his gas tank.

Downside to not having the OEM locking gas cap. :D

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I just raised the BS flag (in my head) and assumed he's got a pissed off ex or pissed somebody off and they put something in his gas tank.

Downside to not having the OEM locking gas cap. :D
i'm a cop... i piss people off for a living. however, my home address is unlisted and i live far away from where i work and i've been married for six years so i highly doubt that its vandilism.

also the only reason i have the vortex cap is beacuse the shitty yamaha one seized up completely and wouldn't open

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was wondering how water got into the "system" if you drained the tank and the fuel pump. Did you try to start it first? You didn't actually say.
yes initially i came home the other day and tried to start it. the bike started and idled a bit rough for a couple of minutes at 1500rpms or so. i took it to the end of the block and it bogged down and died, then would not start again.

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got her started with the starting fluid after the second shot of it. Ran like a champ for 30 minutes in the driveway to clean everything out and then took her around the town for good measure.

Life is good again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts