Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Motosylum Racing #132
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for tips from guys and girls in the region. This is my first R6 after a decade of Kawasaki ownership. I'm no stranger to the dynamics of gearing and speed and how all that changes based on your lap times, etc.
What I am looking for is other racers in the top 10 amateur middleweight class. Folks about my pace. What sprockets are you using? I just need a place to start since this bike is in stock form. Preferably gearing used at one or both of the tracks mentioned above. I need to buy chain/ sprockets soon.
Thanks!

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
Stock, or 1 tooth smaller on the rear sprocket. FWIW, I run 19's at Summit and 35's at VIR.

·
Motosylum Racing #132
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, -1 on the rear? So these bikes are geared too low from the factory? The Ninja got -1 in the front (effectively +3 rear) for Summit. I'm about a second off your times.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Assuming you're talking about the third gen, yeah, the consensus is that the stock gearing is generally a really good starting point.

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
Wow, -1 on the rear? So these bikes are geared too low from the factory? The Ninja got -1 in the front (effectively +3 rear) for Summit. I'm about a second off your times.
There's a lot at play - motor (built/stock/pump gas or MR12/etc), pace, and track. But yeah, seriously, the stock ratio gearing is damn near spot on for a lot of the tracks you'll run on the east coast. But the guys that are actually fast (32's at VIR, 16's and below at Summit) carry so much corner speed that 2nd gear gets tapped out too quickly going through the corner. Going down a tooth allows them to wring out 2nd gear coming out of corner without upsetting the bike upshifting into 3rd. Don't forget that these fast guys are also running built motors, so if you're stock (like me), you wouldn't even be able to pull the lower gearing *as* easy (assuming same pace) since they got you beat on the mid range power.

I am dog ass slow from T5-8 at Summit, if I actually had any kind of real riding ability, going with the lower gearing would make the drive out of 9 much easier.

But yeah, I see people fvucking with their gearing all the damn time during track days at Summit and VIR. Until you're riding at any kind of decent clip, stock gearing is damn good. You'll always have those guys running 35's at Summit and 2:00+ at VIR claiming their stock R6 gearing is shit...but that's always gonna happen.

·
Motosylum Racing #132
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, Fallis, I should have specified my bike is a '12. Sorry bout that.
This is just one more thing I'm going to have to get used to moving over to the blue side. Ninja were always overdriven too much. Like they were meant for interstate travel. It's just nuts that to put both bikes at 10000 rpm in 2nd gear for T1 the sprocket changes are so opposite.
I'm still using a stock mill myself, although with a little polishing here and there. Planning on running T4 fuel so I can switch back and forth to pump gas without having a PC or Bazzaz. So nominal mods over stock. I haven't even had it tuned yet. Hell, it's still an engine and frame at this moment!
FWIW, a local fast guy and friend said I should start out with 44 rear. He said the fast fast guys are running 15/ 41 :scared:

·
Turn 1 = a Trip 2the Moon
290 Posts
Well shit n goddamn !!!!

Like Twin Ive only race/tracked kaws and a gixxer 750 one time...
Still racing/tracking a Kaw zx10R, but got the 2011 R6 to get back into middle weight action...

I ask my boy who is running 1:18s to 1:20s at summit point and is on his 3rd R6 (2006 R6, 2008 R6, now 2014 R6) what gearing and he did say stock was pretty decent at most of our local tracks and a stock F/+1 rear. He said he was going to run a stock front and +2R this go round. Just used it at Jennings and it felt good.

So I went and ordered a stock front/+2R 520.
After reading this thread I realized I was sent the wrong size sprocket. I did not look up stock and just said send me a plus 2 rear. He sent a 50 rear. I saw the box and was like...this looks like a stunters sprocket.

Just left a message to get an exchange, but now I am wondering if I should do a +1?

Side note: you want to talk about gearing. My 2011 ZX10R felt so bogged down, that other expert racers told me they were running -2F/+2R I was like holly jebuz christo !!!

I did that, and felt a tad twitchy, then ran all last year on -2F/+1 rear and the bike feels perfect. I always ran the traditional -1F/+2 rear on my zx10Rs
and ran -1/+3R on my 05 zx6R, but at VIR would run out of steam fast lol.

Hate to post my times....but shit...f**kit.

** on 636 VIR best time 1:39 average times 1:40+ @ summit 1:19.8 average = 1:20+
** on 06 & 08 ZX 10R VIR best time = 1:39/1:41 average, Summit best time = 1:19.00 average time 1:20/1:21+
** on 2011 ZX10R thus far best time at summit = 1:22 average 1:23+++ lol...but I will admit most times on the new bike last year I was going 80% at best...no motivation

Reason for low motivation?

look at this pic...look for me and tell me what is wrong lol

R6 sprocket

·
Motosylum Racing #132
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol, Stunna sprocket!
You sure your friend isn't going to be running stock/ -2 ? Gears should get taller (numerically lower) as you get faster. For instance, Shepherd is running a -3 rear.

·
290 Posts
Lol, Stunna sprocket!
You sure your friend isn't going to be running stock/ -2 ? Gears should get taller (numerically lower) as you get faster. For instance, Shepherd is running a -3 rear.
mannnnn

I hope I did not miss-listen to him...and thought he said +2R when he really meant -2R.....

im about to hit him up hahaha since i have to return this thing..

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
Yeah, Fallis, I should have specified my bike is a '12. Sorry bout that.
This is just one more thing I'm going to have to get used to moving over to the blue side. Ninja were always overdriven too much. Like they were meant for interstate travel. It's just nuts that to put both bikes at 10000 rpm in 2nd gear for T1 the sprocket changes are so opposite.
I'm still using a stock mill myself, although with a little polishing here and there. Planning on running T4 fuel so I can switch back and forth to pump gas without having a PC or Bazzaz. So nominal mods over stock. I haven't even had it tuned yet. Hell, it's still an engine and frame at this moment!
FWIW, a local fast guy and friend said I should start out with 44 rear. He said the fast fast guys are running 15/ 41 :scared:
I'm running 15/42. Mathematically almost exactly the same as the OEM 16/45, but it extends the wheelbase a tad. I had to do this because the Pirelli's were big enough that the tire warmer would rub the front part of the swingarm. I might pick up a 41 tooth just to try it and see if it helps or not. Might do that at the N2 days in April (5th-6th).

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
mannnnn

I hope I did not miss-listen to him...and thought he said +2R when he really meant -2R.....

im about to hit him up hahaha since i have to return this thing..
I've never ridden at an east coast track yet where I'd want to run lower gearing than stock....I'd definitely return it if it's +2.

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
I'm running 15/42. Mathematically almost exactly the same as the OEM 16/45, but it extends the wheelbase a tad. I had to do this because the Pirelli's were big enough that the tire warmer would rub the front part of the swingarm. I might pick up a 41 tooth just to try it and see if it helps or not. Might do that at the N2 days in April (5th-6th).

And it's also less rotating mass too

·
I like to think Im pro
41 Posts
And it's also less rotating mass too
I was thinking just this. Less rotating mass is goooood. Time for me to pickup a sprocket set and chain as well seeing as the previous owner had a 50 on the rear. lol. He said thats what he ran Shenny with.

Looks like Ill be going with the 15/42 and have a 41 on hand for 07 R6

·
Motosylum Racing #132
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Excellent point on the tires! I run the 180/60 and it does take up some room there. So, just ordered a set from Driven.
CSD- every bit of mass reduction does help! speaking of which, might get the rotor shaved down when I put the case cover on :)
Oh, and I misspoke about the 15/41. He was talking about NJMP. Not Summit.

·
Registered
384 Posts
You should purchase a longer chain and run 15/43.

·
290 Posts
The problem Is I need to ride the bike on the track.
the bike have orange cheeto rust on the chain from sitting outside in the elements for more than a year, dont want to risk it poping and have a new 520 chain and sprocket set on deck.

I will be running Pirellis also.

Either:
SuperBike Pro rear/ SuperBike SC 1 blue Front
Or
Super Corsa V2

Size wise was debating on 180/60
or
200/55 lol
:)

·
Registered
384 Posts
I run the SC1 DOTs in a 180/60 with 15/43 gearing and I've never had any grip issues running 17s at Summit and 32s at VIR. I don't see a need to go any smaller in the rear. Actually, that gearing works fine for me at CMP and Roebling as well.

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
You should purchase a longer chain and run 15/43.
Dude, kinda off topic but such a butt hurt story about my 43 tooth sprocket. Loaned it to a friend of a good friend to help him out with his gearing issues at mid ohio. I don't know what the **** kind of condition his chain was in, but it totally fubar'd my 43 tooth sprocket I had that previously had about 4 sprints on it. $40-50 pissed away to help a buddy. So much for that. :321 I might pick up another one and experiment on Easter weekend with N2.

I'm guessing you're gonna be at the Summit rounds with WERA in May? Tell me ahead of time so I can pull two of your spark plug wires to give me a fighting chance...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Dude, kinda off topic but such a butt hurt story about my 43 tooth sprocket. Loaned it to a friend of a good friend to help him out with his gearing issues at mid ohio. I don't know what the **** kind of condition his chain was in, but it totally fubar'd my 43 tooth sprocket I had that previously had about 4 sprints on it. $40-50 pissed away to help a buddy. So much for that. :321 I might pick up another one and experiment on Easter weekend with N2.

I'm guessing you're gonna be at the Summit rounds with WERA in May? Tell me ahead of time so I can pull two of your spark plug wires to give me a fighting chance...
I have a few left over Pitbull 43 tooth R6 sprockets. PM me your address and I will send you one. Just give me like 15 bucks next time I see you.

Hoping to make it up there in May. If you pull 2 plug wires, then I will only have 1 cylinder :D. I'm actually starting to get along with the 675. Went a second faster at Roebling two weeks ago than I ever did on the R6.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts