Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
I like to think Im pro
41 Posts
You really upped your pace over the weekend Shad. Those are the gears I have on myself. Hope to be joining you in a month!
Thanks Dean! The 19 caught me by surprise. Now I need to make that consistent and dip into 18's! Hopefully see you at VIR? :boob

curious why you would choose to be in 3rd gear through T5-6-7 ? just seemed that more revs in 2nd would have helped through there .. maybe not :)
2nd through there is the best IMO, I just have to quick shift upon standing the bike up between T8 and T9. Not a fun shift without a quickshifter.

·
I like to think Im pro
41 Posts
Raced with CCS at VIR this past weekend with the 15f/43r. Seemed to work pretty well. Dipped into mid 1.36's for ASRA qualifying with consistent 37's in the race.

VIR is a bit more technical than Summit, so Im unsure if this was THE gearing Id stay with, but it did the trick for my first time out there in 3 years. I might have been better off running a 42r so 2nd gear lasted longer for T3-T5?

What gear are you quicker guys typically in when coming into T3, all the way through T5a? I was staying in 3rd, but realized later on that a quick downshift to 2nd gear coming out of T2 into T3 might benefit the drive out of T3 into T4, and driving out of T5b....

·
Reads the rulez
2,236 Posts
Dropping into 2nd for T3-5 is the way to go. It can be tricky as shit getting used to the downshift while still leaned over, but very doable with some practice. It's not a must-do, however, I ran mid 35's/low 36's keeping it in 3rd through there when I was getting tired and lazy riding double sessions.

·
Registered
384 Posts
What gear are you quicker guys typically in when coming into T3, all the way through T5a? I was staying in 3rd, but realized later on that a quick downshift to 2nd gear coming out of T2 into T3 might benefit the drive out of T3 into T4, and driving out of T5b....
On my R6, I ran 15/43 running consistent 32s with some 31s and was carrying 3rd through T3 and then down shifting into 2nd for T4. Having said that, pretty much all the fast guys down shift into 2nd for T3 and then carry 2nd all the way through T5. 2nd through T3 gives way better drive and makes passing into T4 much easier. I was never able to get comfortable enough with the downshift to make it worth while for me.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Dropping into 2nd for T3-5 is the way to go. It can be tricky as shit getting used to the downshift while still leaned over, but very doable with some practice. It's not a must-do, however, I ran mid 35's/low 36's keeping it in 3rd through there when I was getting tired and lazy riding double sessions.
You sneaked in while I was typing my post, you SOB.

·
I like to think Im pro
41 Posts
On my R6, I ran 15/43 running consistent 32s with some 31s and was carrying 3rd through T3 and then down shifting into 2nd for T4. Having said that, pretty much all the fast guys down shift into 2nd for T3 and then carry 2nd all the way through T5. 2nd through T3 gives way better drive and makes passing into T4 much easier. I was never able to get comfortable enough with the downshift to make it worth while for me.
Great answers, thanks guys! 31's!?! Thats moving! Ill give it a go next time there...

·
Motosylum Racing #132
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Raced with CCS at VIR this past weekend with the 15f/43r. Seemed to work pretty well. Dipped into mid 1.36's for ASRA qualifying with consistent 37's in the race.

VIR is a bit more technical than Summit, so Im unsure if this was THE gearing Id stay with, but it did the trick for my first time out there in 3 years. I might have been better off running a 42r so 2nd gear lasted longer for T3-T5?

Part of the factor is how comfortable you are carrying velocity through T3. On the Ninja I would blow through it (by my standards) and not click down till T4.
My best there last year was a high 36

·
Reads the rulez
2,236 Posts
Great answers, thanks guys! 31's!?! Thats moving! Ill give it a go next time there...
Sloan is a freak of nature like that. :poke

·
Motosylum Racing #132
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Wanted to sneak in here and update. Figure it may benefit someone.
I ran the 15/43 at summit and found it very useable. I might have swapped to a 44 if I had it but didn't. I might have been able to make use of a little more grunt. Steadily dropped time and made half a dozen laps in the GTU in the mid-low 19's.
The thing I have to keep reminding myself of is that I don't want to be topping out this motor. Unlike the Kawi which made power until it exploded, the R6 stops making power after 14.7- 15k. It's nice to have the over rev to 17 but if I'm coming into a turn and hit the brakes at 14.5 then there is no reason to add a tooth. Unless, of course I need to be in a different range somewhere else.

·
Turn 1 = a Trip 2the Moon
290 Posts
Wanted to sneak in here and update. Figure it may benefit someone.
I ran the 15/43 at summit and found it very useable. I might have swapped to a 44 if I had it but didn't. I might have been able to make use of a little more grunt. Steadily dropped time and made half a dozen laps in the GTU in the mid-low 19's.
The thing I have to keep reminding myself of is that I don't want to be topping out this motor. Unlike the Kawi which made power until it exploded, the R6 stops making power after 14.7- 15k. It's nice to have the over rev to 17 but if I'm coming into a turn and hit the brakes at 14.5 then there is no reason to add a tooth. Unless, of course I need to be in a different range somewhere else.
I also ment to update....

I ran the R6 at shenny then summit point main the next day.

On main I ran 0F/+2R (16/47)
Im not sure if Im just use to the zx10R, but it felt like the power was lagging with this gearing.

The bike still have stock ECU (no flash)....stock suspension (i chewed up the rear tire)...

The bike felt like it took a long time...more than it seems it should...to get up to speed.

I ran it durring a track day....
did 1st 2 sessions on the R6, then I switch to the zx10R and switch every other session.

·
Turn 1 = a Trip 2the Moon
290 Posts
Not sure if I should change the gearing again or not.

·
Motosylum Racing #132
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Well, remember 2 things:
1- if your suspension is OEM still, you are not able to put all the power to the ground
2- you are a bit heavier than I am so that will have an affect on forward momentum
3- nothing is like the ZX10 motor. LOL

Effectively you are running the same ratio as I started with (-1/0), and some guys still do. Tommy Wilson runs 18's at summit with that ratio. he runs in a different transmission gear through some turns though. I have a lot of work to do for a second drop in time. My ratio is currently stock- ish (-1/-2) at low 19's.
FWIW, in a dead heat drag to the line against a 2011 ZX6, the R6 inched it's way past. Both bikes similarly modded using the same fuel and same tires. We were pitted together, which is how I know.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts