Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some one give me some advice on storing my bike (kinda late) and advice when I go to start it up this Spring? It has been sitting since mid November and It warmed up to 50 the other day so I figured I'd fire it up and it didn't want to. I live in Minnesota so I have about 8 more weeks of Winter. Any advice would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will add that the motor did turn over, just never fired up. Tried multiple times for about 10 - 15 second each time, with about a 5 minute break in between tries, until I needed to stop because the battery was about dead.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
if you never put fuel stabilizer in it, you probably will want to drain the tank and carbs and get fresh fuel in there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more piece of information that should have been included in the beginning is that the bike is a 2003 R6, so it is fuel injected.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
If you can't get it started, try giving it a bit of throttle when it's turning over... be very careful since you can flood it really quick. This is not recommended on ANY FI system, but it might help.

So did you put some fuel stabilizer in?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I am betting it won't start only because the battery did not have enough juice. I have an 03 and mine started up instantly. I did not do anything special to store it for winter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
drhodes said:
If you can't get it started, try giving it a bit of throttle when it's turning over... be very careful since you can flood it really quick. This is not recommended on ANY FI system, but it might help.

So did you put some fuel stabilizer in?
I did not put any stabilizer in it, and I'll have to try the throttle bit later in the spring.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yea Im guessing the battery... Whenever I rode my bike it started instantly, it was fully charged or so it felt, but I wanted the piece of mind to put it on a monitor over the winter and I have...

we just picked up my friend 04 that had been in an accident and everything was fixed... when we got it and started it his mom hit the kill switch accidently and then we couldnt get it to turn on... a little bit of throttle helped start it while it was trying... he bought a battery tender since but has yet to install it :roll:

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
without the F.S. you'll either need to try a little throttle or drin the tank so you can get some good gas in it.

I had let my bike sit for a month without F.S. in it and it didn't want to start at all.. I needed to give it some throttle in order to get it going. So after a few months it might be even worse...

·
Registered
311 Posts
You knwo I didnt even think about that... bad gas will hinder the start up... maybe i should get my friend to ride his bike more or put new gas in with stabilizer first, lol

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
battery tender and fuel stbilizer is always good. but i find if you just go out and ride a couple time a month in the winter it will be ready to go in the summer :mrgreen:

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
loki1313 said:
battery tender and fuel stbilizer is always good. but i find if you just go out and ride a couple time a month in the winter it will be ready to go in the summer :mrgreen:
if that is possible :mrgreen:

·
Registered
587 Posts
That is what it is the batter just doesnt have enough power. You can hook it up to your car with the car OFF of you can roll the bike down a hill and pop the clutch, make sure you do this op in 2nd gear however! Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts