Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys.... its my first winter with my baby and i was wondering when u start it up in the cold how do u do it without the battary always going dead???? i have a 99 r6....

Many thanks for help....

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've had my bike parked since the first snowfall. Every week or so just fire it up and let it warm a little bit. It keeps the aliminum from pitting by lubricating the engine. I dont' reccomend doing this on really cold days, but whenever it's warmish (-10C to 0C) she fires right up.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,812 Posts
04areSix said:
I've had my bike parked since the first snowfall. Every week or so just fire it up and let it warm a little bit. It keeps the aliminum from pitting by lubricating the engine. I dont' reccomend doing this on really cold days, but whenever it's warmish (-10C to 0C) she fires right up.
i just hope you are using a light weight oil.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I've read someone its not a good idea just to start your bike up over winter and let it warm up...i heard you need to put a load on your engine for it to be benefitical

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yeah, i looked into the properties of the oil first. And to get technical, i have a bit of the synthetic that i use in a jug to make sure it's still fluidy. It is true that extended periods of idleing is bad for an engine, but 5-10 mins on a warm winter day won't hurt it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I start mine up and let it good OIL temp. Just getting to antifreeze to a good temp isn't enough, you need to get it warm enough to get rid of the moisture in the crankcase. So i let mine run until the clutch side of the case is pretty warm every couple weeks.

·
Registered
537 Posts
As stated above the best bet is to use a battery tender, will keep the battery fully charged, and you are better just leaving it there without running it periodically.

Do a search for winterizing the R6, there have been some already on it and have all the information there you are looking for.

If interested I do have an extra (brand new) DelTran battery tender due to getting one for XMAS right after I bought the same one for my bike.

BE4TNUT

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey just got three battery tenders for boat batteries and bike. Those things are great don't have worrying about battery going bad during MN winters. MSRP 39.99 got mine for 19.95. Go here http://www.accwhse.com/batteryt.htm. Shipping is very quick got mine in 3-4 days.
Plus I wouldn't like starting my bike up every 2 weeks because the oil would settle out. Meaning you got a dry start and that ain't good.

·
Registered
416 Posts
all year long when im not riding i bring the bike IN the codo .. i think im the only one that does taht ... i bring it around the bak pull it str8 into kitchen then bak it into the dining room .. haha i need to put up pics of it ... but i ain't leaving my baby out in the cold..

:cheers

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Suhas said:
all year long when im not riding i bring the bike IN the codo .. i think im the only one that does taht ... i bring it around the bak pull it str8 into kitchen then bak it into the dining room .. haha i need to put up pics of it ... but i ain't leaving my baby out in the cold..

:cheers
Your not the only one. I pull mine in every night.

·
Registered
278 Posts
my baby never leaves my side...... i sleep with her next to me when it rains or is too cold outside :drink

[/img]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.