Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 R6s
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 R6s. It is quite old and seemed to have been serviced well, but who knows...

Anyway, I installed a new battery after my old one stopped allowing my bike to start or holding voltage. Worked pretty well until the new battery ran out of juice within the next couple days.

Clearly the battery isn't being charged, but is it the stator?? I am wondering what all I should check and how I should check it before dropping $200 on a nbew stator and having it not be the problem at all...

·
Registered
2008 Yellow Flame R6R
6 Posts
Have you done a basic voltage check when the bike is started up? Jump it the battery with cables. Then use a multimeter. It should read around 14.5VDC. Rev it up to 8-10k see what the reading is. You can hook up the meter when it’s off too to check parasitic draw. If you don’t see the high voltage during revving there’s something going with the charging system. If your battery is draining in a couple of days when it’s off you need to start troubleshooting what is draining the battery.

·
Registered
2007 R6s
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you done a basic voltage check when the bike is started up? Jump it the battery with cables. Then use a multimeter. It should read around 14.5VDC. Rev it up to 8-10k see what the reading is. You can hook up the meter when it’s off too to check parasitic draw. If you don’t see the high voltage during revving there’s something going with the charging system. If your battery is draining in a couple of days when it’s off you need to start troubleshooting what is draining the battery.
What parts of the bike comprise the charging system? I do believe the new battery is holding quite well so I suppose I'll start checking around!

·
Registered
2008 Yellow Flame R6R
6 Posts
The stator, rectifier, or check the wires coming from the stator. Check the AC voltage when bike is on from the stator wires. Ohm out the wires from the stator when it’s off. Need to get readings from the charging system first to determine what your issue is. Then you can break down your issue in pieces.

·
The Reverend
1,355 Posts
I have both of your interested. Both work great, went to the r1 style set up

Reactions: theclash181
1 - 6 of 6 Posts