Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently wrecked my bike and cracked my stator cover. I pulled the cover off and it appears that some of the stator has chipped away. Is this stator still good to use or do I need to buy a new one? Can someone help?

Attachments

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
i suspect that isn't too bad. the bigger potential problem is the flywheel/magneto. ya need to check the inside surface of that and the rare earth magnets that are impregnated into the inside surface.. if the inside surface is bad, this could ALSO indicate CRANK damage. We wont' go there right now. If the engine vibrates worse than before, then you have a serious issue.

for now, put the new stator cover on with that stator mounted. start the bike with the seat off, and put a multi-meter to the terminals. you should see 13.5vt right away, then as you rev, it should start to climb. Continue revving up to 5000 rpm for awhile, holding 5k, it must get to 14vt.. if it won't, or if you charge the battery for a little bit, and it still can't hold 14vt, the stator is bad. i just don't think that is that bad though

·
Registered
139 Posts
I always error on side of caution unless budget dictates otherwise. Since you already have everything off might as well put a new one in. Only buy OEM stator. Its tempting to buy the $40 off of ebay but its not worth all the potential problems. I just replaced mine and dont really care to have to go through that again. As you know its not all that hard just time consuming pulling fairings and everything else.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
all the potential problems.. Saving a $150 is pretty cool, buy from a reputable ebay seller and you won't have issues. It takes maybe 30 minutes to do this job. I certainly don't make $300/hr. Maybe some do.
Buying new is ideal, but not always practical. I will concur 100% on the OEM stator route though. DO NOT buy an aftermarket stator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts