Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit some gravel and low sided my '14 r6 last night on the left side at about 20-25mph. Sliders protected the bike for the most part, but theres a small ding in the stator cover thats leaking a small amount of oil. I've got full coverage on her but not really sure what to do or how to go about it..advice?

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
JB weld that .. not kidding 1 little bit. Will need to drain the oil, or lean the bike to the right to keep it from leaking while you do the repair. Then scuff the area up with a file, clean really really well with brake cleaner, let dry. Mix up some jb weld, smooth it on with a puddy knife or (my personal fav) a business card.

You can find oem stator covers all over ebay for cheap, cause many replace them for racing application with thicker aftermarket (required by race tech).
if you replace the stator cover, will need to remove the stator. The problem most run in to when doing an otherwise easy job, is they strip the hex head screws that hold the stator to the cover.. So ! I suggest jb weld for now.

We repaired a buddys 636 kawi years ago this way. Rode it for years. sold the bike in fact with that cover still jb welded. we smoothed it on nice, and it actually looked decent.
I had a crf450r dirt bike with the stator cover jb welded for years (small crack from when i dropped the bike getting through some big rocks).. then i hit a tree a couple years later and destroyed the stator cover, the oil filter was literally ripped out of the cover.. yea, jb weld won't fix that.

·
Ow ,NuckenFuts
1,075 Posts
JB weld that .. not kidding 1 little bit. Will need to drain the oil, or lean the bike to the right to keep it from leaking while you do the repair. Then scuff the area up with a file, clean really really well with brake cleaner, let dry. Mix up some jb weld, smooth it on with a puddy knife or (my personal fav) a business card.

You can find oem stator covers all over ebay for cheap, cause many replace them for racing application with thicker aftermarket (required by race tech).
if you replace the stator cover, will need to remove the stator. The problem most run in to when doing an otherwise easy job, is they strip the hex head screws that hold the stator to the cover.. So ! I suggest jb weld for now.

We repaired a buddys 636 kawi years ago this way. Rode it for years. sold the bike in fact with that cover still jb welded. we smoothed it on nice, and it actually looked decent.
I had a crf450r dirt bike with the stator cover jb welded for years (small crack from when i dropped the bike getting through some big rocks).. then i hit a tree a couple years later and destroyed the stator cover, the oil filter was literally ripped out of the cover.. yea, jb weld won't fix that.
+1^. I like the your business card trick for spreading jb weld..I usually use my finger..hahaaa.

"It just doesn't matter"

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
just gotta lean it over a little so oil isn't coming out the hole, and prep the area a bit as described above (or others may have other prep tips) beforehand.

·
Ow ,NuckenFuts
1,075 Posts
Nice sounds simple enough for me, thank you!
That's it man, just like Melk said. I would drain the oil , but tipping the bike will accomplish the same goal. Make sure you prep the area really good before using the JB-weld, and let it cure overnight at minimum. Then you can paint it or whatever you like.

"It just doesn't matter"

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
I wouldn't use a file, some scotch pad will work great. Rtv or jb weld and your good

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I wouldn't use a file, some scotch pad will work great. Rtv or jb weld and your good
.. actually, the file will be ideal as it will give some mild grooves the jbweld can adhere too, vs. just the smooth surface. I agree some scotch brite action and brake clean is needed, but rough that surface up so the jbweld won't just flake off.
Just enough to scuff the thing, not file through and reduce the thickness :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you decide to replace stator cover beware there are two screws inside that yamaha uses perm loctite. It requires heat to break them loose. No heat ensures stripping. Same with timing cover. I found that out hard way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts