Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what's up guys, I dropped my bike today and noticed a oil leak on the left side near the kick stand (apex of stator cover). My friends told me not to take it to Yahama cuz they rip you off (called and they said it will $140-160). They said to remove the stator cover, clean it with a blade to create a smooth surface, put putty then put it on again. What do you guys think?

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
For $140-$160, are they replacing the cover with a new one, or just doing the shitty putty thing you mentioned?

I'd look at aftermarket covers, or protectors that go over the covers. You're going to have the same problem next time.

Your friends are correct about the dealership being expensive, but that is what happens when folks don't want to work on their own stuff. So either pay the dealer to have it done, or do it yourself. Ask for help from local people if you don't know what you are doing, but be aware that they are under no obligation to not **** your shit up.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
If they are replacing it with a new OEM cover, new gasket, and all labor included for 140-160, that isn't really that terrible of a price. Just looking real fast on one website shows the oem stator cover for a 2003 r6(not sure what year yours is) as 72 bucks, and the gasket as 9 bucks. I know all the decent local shops around here charge 75-100 an hour for labor, with one of the shady shops only charging 60. If they charge 100 an hour for labor where you are and hit you for 1/2 hour of labor, that is going to come to right around 140 after all is said and done. If they charge you for an hour of labor, you are looking at 155-180 based off those prices. 140-160 doesn't really sound like they are bending you over that bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts