Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i just changed my stator cover and now its making a chirping noise when i start the bike. its even much louder in gear. i cant figure out what would be wrong? could someone help me out here please. thanks, kyle

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
did you put loctite on the three bolts that hold the stator to the cover???

one or two (or worst, all three, but unlikely) could be slightly loose, putting the stator at a slight angle and perhaps scratching the mag-rotor or a bolt is loose enough to press against the mag-rotor (not much space between the stator and the back of the rotor).

Pull the cover off and check that the stator is secure.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is there anything else that it could really be?

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
If it's under the stator cover - no - unless you removed the rotor too (which is a near herculean task so I'm guessing you didn't). If you remove the rotor and didn't loctite it back in there then while spinning and vibrating it'll definitely come loose over time.

The only other thing under there is the small gear just about the rotor, but it shouldn't be a problem because the rod on which it sits and spins slips into a space in the stator cover to keep it in place, I don't think the cover can be replaced if it's not correctly positioned, so that brings us back to the stator.

The stator itself doesn't move, but it needs to be loctited because it's subject to lots of vibration and it's in a position where even a little movement would cause damage to it via the rotor orbiting it. There isn't much clearance on any side of the stator between it and the rotor.

Thats my 2ct - I hope it helps.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes. thanks for your help

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok i figured it out. it was the little metal clip that holds the wires back out of place from the stator. it wasnt all the way in and it was rubbing the rotor

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
Oh - well good thing it's on the outside of the rotor :) that means no expensive parts necessary!! Good find dude.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts