Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Coming into work this morning noticed a boring plastic smell. Then some point later noticed my battery voltage was low. When I got to work found the source of the smell. My stator wire had melted. Any idea why?
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

It seems like just one of the wires is melted on the harness but all three on the stator. Should I try cutting them and wiring up so atleast I can get home?

Also stator is an aftermarket one from a reputable company was £140 I belive. I installed it probably about 10 months ago been working great since. Also same time I changed the rectifier to an OEM

Help much appreciated.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are going to need to test regulator/rectifier as a diode is probably bad. Definitely internal winding short on stator. Inspect all the insulation for crispy or melted or cracks.
Hey man thanks for the reply. Any idea how i test the rectifier? ill open her up tomorrow after work and check the stator.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some additional info; I've re wired the cable started the bike and it immediately started melting the electrical tape. Anyway I charged the battery disconnected the stator and managed to run it for 15 minutes ish or about 3 miles before volts droped to 9v lost dash and decided to turn it off. Rewired the stator disconnected headlight just to use less power, push started it and manged to go another 20 before fans kicked in and died again. Volts vere dropping much much much slower with stator connected.

So stator and rectifier still seem to be somewhat working.

Anyone know if its normal to run for only 15 mins on full battery ? I don't think so. Possibly a short somewhere?

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so stator is definitely burned. Now need to figure out if it's the rectifier that burned the stator. Or if rectifier is still fine. I'm low on cash atm so need to spend the least possible.

I was still getting 14v while the wires were melting at the start... nt sure if that means anything
Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Auto part Circle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts