Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got back from a bike dealer inspecting my bike because he was friends with a girl that wanted to buy it. He told me the steering bearings were loose (i think thats what he said) so Im wondering where to look to check if they are. He did a visual inspection only so im sure they arent hard to find if I know where to look. I want to know if he was just bsing to lower the price or if he was right. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
So I just got back from a bike dealer inspecting my bike because he was friends with a girl that wanted to buy it. He told me the steering bearings were loose (i think thats what he said) so Im wondering where to look to check if they are. He did a visual inspection only so im sure they arent hard to find if I know where to look. I want to know if he was just bsing to lower the price or if he was right. Thanks.
you can see if the bearings are loose by checking for play in your steering head.
upon braking you may hear a clunk sound thats usually a good sign.

You get to it by removing the clipon's and the upper triple tree clamp, once the triple is off the forks you should see a seal, and the bearings are directly underneath that.
I did mine just by feel and it seems fine but ive heard its pretty easy to over/under tighten it if you do not know what your doing so you may want a shop to do it.
You should be able to easily see if it is loose or anything though.

edit: also if you decide to do it yourself, lift the front end of the bike, preferably taking stress off the forks (use a headlift stand) because once you get the triple off the forks and all weight of the bike is still on them you will have a damn hard time getting the triple back on by yourself.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so by play what do you mean exactly? I dont hear anything out of the usual when im breaking. i googled steering head but im not sure how to check if it has any play or not. sorry for being so oblivious to all of this... any help is appreciated. ive noticed that the balance is a little off on my bike when im leaning sometimes but it might be my imagination, could this be from the steering bearings being loose? thanks again.

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
edit: also if you decide to do it yourself, lift the front end of the bike, preferably taking stress off the forks (use a headlift stand) because once you get the triple off the forks and all weight of the bike is still on them you will have a damn hard time getting the triple back on by yourself.
No wonder I had a hard time to put it on last time around when I swapped my clip-ons :laugh. Learn something everyday on here. :cheers

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
ok so by play what do you mean exactly? I dont hear anything out of the usual when im breaking. i googled steering head but im not sure how to check if it has any play or not. sorry for being so oblivious to all of this... any help is appreciated. ive noticed that the balance is a little off on my bike when im leaning sometimes but it might be my imagination, could this be from the steering bearings being loose? thanks again.
no the balance issue is probably just you sitting weird or another problem all together.
Sit on your bike, both feet planted on the ground, hold the front brake hard, and then start swinging the bike forward and back as hard as you can, the handlebars/triple tree should feel very sturdy and have NO movement what-so-ever. If you feel you can even slightly move it or it clunks you may need to tighten it.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no the balance issue is probably just you sitting weird or another problem all together.
Sit on your bike, both feet planted on the ground, hold the front brake hard, and then start swinging the bike forward and back as hard as you can, the handlebars/triple tree should feel very sturdy and have NO movement what-so-ever. If you feel you can even slightly move it or it clunks you may need to tighten it.
ok thanks I will try this out tomoro

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
hmm, didnt feel any play. is it bad to ignore loose steering bearings?
well its just a ball bearing, so yes it is bad to leave them loose or unlubricated. If its got even a little bit of play, it will cause the bearing to have premature wear and need replacement much sooner then a well maintained bearing.
If you are not feeling play in the steering, and its smooth and not noisy then i would recommend leaving it be.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well its just a ball bearing, so yes it is bad to leave them loose or unlubricated. If its got even a little bit of play, it will cause the bearing to have premature wear and need replacement much sooner then a well maintained bearing.
If you are not feeling play in the steering, and its smooth and not noisy then i would recommend leaving it be.
Yea, I didnt feel anything and theres no noise when I break. Ill bring it to a shop when i get my inspection and ask them regardless.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
I have a suspicion the guy who looked at your bike probably tried to feel them by pushing up and down or rolling it forward and hitting the brakes to feel the bearings.
if he did, he's a moron. he felt your brakes slip and not the bearings.

you'd know if they were too loose when you hit bump in the road. because you'd feel the handle bars clunking.
or if you jab on the brakes real quick they'll clunk.

if you don't feel either of that, they're not loose.

I see his kind every day at the car lot I work at. people act like they know all about stuff and you can catch them in a lie real quick if you know your shit and start poping off other stuff at them.
I bet I could make that guy that looked at your bike shut up real quick.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a suspicion the guy who looked at your bike probably tried to feel them by pushing up and down or rolling it forward and hitting the brakes to feel the bearings.
if he did, he's a moron. he felt your brakes slip and not the bearings.

you'd know if they were too loose when you hit bump in the road. because you'd feel the handle bars clunking.
or if you jab on the brakes real quick they'll clunk.

if you don't feel either of that, they're not loose.

I see his kind every day at the car lot I work at. people act like they know all about stuff and you can catch them in a lie real quick if you know your shit and start poping off other stuff at them.
I bet I could make that guy that looked at your bike shut up real quick.
Exactly, I knew he was full of shit when he told me new front brake pads, an oil change and tightening the bearings was gonna run $400

1 - 11 of 11 Posts