Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i got my rims powdered, i went ahead an replaced all my wheel bearings.
Eversince i put the wheels back on i have had a slight clunk sound from the front, which i found to most likely be my steering head bearing in the upper triple tree was loose.
I took it all apart, but had no way to lift my front end, so the bike was on both wheels, i slid the upper triple to the top of my forks, and had enough room to remove the two locking bolts above the bearing without completely taking off the upper triple..
I lubed it up real well, then tightened down the first nut to the point where i believed it was good, using a screwdriver and hammer to tighten it.
Put it all back together, and the sound was gone.
A day later its back but 100x as bad, it sounds like something is inside my rim or something, ill be pushing the bike in my garage and hear a loud ass clunk clunk every other rotation of the wheel or so...
this makes me think its something else then the head bearing, but im not sure

did i **** it up not lifting the front end and taking the triple completely off, or did i just not tighten the nuts tight enough?
Im gonna try to lift it up using the headers so no stress on the forks and maby try again?

·
Registered
271 Posts
There are two bearings in the steering steam, one on top and one on the bottom.

Sounds like the bearing wasn't seated in the race when you tightened it. Or it wasn't preloaded properly.

When you put the bearing back in and install the first nut you have to preload it to 25 N-m and move the handlebars from let to right few times. Then you back off the nut and tighten it up again to 25 N-m. Move the handlebars from left to right few times to check if there is no play. Then reassemble everything back. You don't have to lift the bike off the ground because most of the force will be on the lower bearing.

Hope that helps Polska ;)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm when i was doing it everything looked good to me, it was seated properly, only thing im thinking is i didnt torque it down properly since i was just using a screwdriver.

I will try tightening it untill i can feel resistance in the handlebars, then back off 1/4th turn as someone else suggested in a different post.

In the meantime, i was showing trying to get my gf to pinpoint the spot while i push the bike, and she is saying 100% certain its not coming from the upper triple, but she says it is coming from the bottom where the axle is, so she thinks its the new bearings i had put in...
I gotta say i kinda of agree it definately sounds like the noise is coming from down there instead of the triple, would this still be the head bearing or do i needa take the wheel off.?

i made a video while pushing the bike back and forth, if you skip to :40 seconds and listen to the rest it is very loud and does it a lot, any ideas?

·
Registered
221 Posts
That is not caused by your steering head bearings. And if you tighten the steering head bearing until you feel resistance you have WAY overtightened it. You need to get the front tire of the ground and spin it. If you still hear it tear the front wheel apart and see what the problem is.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is not caused by your steering head bearings. And if you tighten the steering head bearing until you feel resistance you have WAY overtightened it. You need to get the front tire of the ground and spin it. If you still hear it tear the front wheel apart and see what the problem is.
yea this is sort of the conclusion i have come to also, i took my damper off and went for a ride, and was trying to pinpoint the spot, the triple tree feels solid, no movement, and the clunk is definately below that, i guess im gonna try to figure out a way to lift my front end and move on from there, thanks for the help.

Im not sure what the problem could be though, in the wheel its just bearing, spacer, bearing and the two oil seals, wtf could make a clunk sound.?!

The bearings were brand new AllBalls and i had them professionally mounted at a local shop, i inspected everything before i put the wheels on and it was as it should be...

·
Registered
271 Posts
I watched the video but I don't know what noise you are refering to. The way to check the steering head bearings is to get on the bike, hold the brakes and rock the bike forward and back. There will be some play in the brakes which is normal. If you have play in the steering steem you will be able to feel it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you do what I described above and get no play in the steering head then grab the front wheel and rock it around in all different directions to see if you have play in it. Be carefull not to drop your bike while doing this. It's nice to have an assistant for stuff like this.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I would give the shop a call who you paid to install the bearings and or your tire.
the bearings were pressed in properly with a hydraulic press and i checked it all myself, and i installed the wheel.
The sound does not repeat on every rotation of the wheel, i was even having a hard time showing it to my neighbor, took a lot of back and forth pushing then it would do it sometimes.

I was sitting on it holding front brake and rocking back and forth steering stem feels fine in my opinion, nice and solid.
I stood in front of the bike shaking tire and even rolling forward shaking it back and forth, looks solid.

TomK, you really do not hear the loud ass clunk sounds towards the end as i roll backwards and then forwards? its very distinct over the footsteps..
@:42, :48, :53 - to the end its very loud..

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got the front off the ground and it is definately in the wheel, sounds like metal falling and hitting metal.
Will get the wheel off and see whats wrong, not really sure wth it could be besides a completely fallen apart bearing.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
now im at a loss for words...

everything looks good and sounds fine to me...
i can re create the sound by messing with the spacer, by making it go up and down.. thats it.. makes no sense whatsoever

·
Go Ahead
2,705 Posts
Did you install the sleeve in the front wheel? I forgot to do that last time and heard an obnoxious clicking from the front. I thought it was the 3x tree as well. Only to find out I forgot to install the axle sleeve.

-Ant.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you mean the little metal thing that goes after the oil seal,

the wheel is definately secure the way it is meant to be, the sound was not there before i replaced the bearings.

Im thinking i got a bad bearing out of the box... with my luck that sounds about right, ive already gotten sent the wrong chain, bought a faulty spark plug from the dealership, and had constant problems with electricals untill i replaced the ground for the whole damn bike...

bah, humbug.

edit: monday i will take it to the shop that pressed the bearings he said hell take a look because hes never heard of a bearing going bad so quickly.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I hear some clunking in the video but can't distinguish what it is. Take the wheel off and make sure everything is there and in the correct order. Reference the pic Ant posted. And make sure your brakes are assembled correctly.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
thats a spacer.
and yes its put in.

Problem seems to be a bad bearing, whats the chance of a bad one out of the box, i bought Allballs bearing kit.
The shop is gonna look at it hes never heard of one going bad so fast, it was less then a month ago that i put them in.

·
Got street appeal?
1,656 Posts
thats a spacer.
and yes its put in.

Problem seems to be a bad bearing, whats the chance of a bad one out of the box, i bought Allballs bearing kit.
The shop is gonna look at it hes never heard of one going bad so fast, it was less then a month ago that i put them in.
I wish I could find my post... I had All Ballz racing and I had the same damn problem. They warrantied it twice and sent me a set of free neck bearings. I wen back with OEM Yamaha bearings and the noise went away.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wish I could find my post... I had All Ballz racing and I had the same damn problem. They warrantied it twice and sent me a set of free neck bearings. I wen back with OEM Yamaha bearings and the noise went away.
Damn i wish i had seen that post before i purchased bearings.
Now im thinking i should replace all the AllBalls i put on with OEM bearings, dont want to risk it.

I still dont see what the problem could be ,the bearing looks fine but grinds sometimes when i try to spin it by finger, it seems to only be one of them. Sounds like a manufacturer defect =/ Hope allballs stands behind their product as ive already contacted their customer service. Even though i wont be installing their product again..

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
Damn i wish i had seen that post before i purchased bearings.
Now im thinking i should replace all the AllBalls i put on with OEM bearings, dont want to risk it.

I still dont see what the problem could be ,the bearing looks fine but grinds sometimes when i try to spin it by finger, it seems to only be one of them. Sounds like a manufacturer defect =/ Hope allballs stands behind their product as ive already contacted their customer service. Even though i wont be installing their product again..
if you feel it grinding then it's bad. when they pressed it in, did they do it by the outer edge of the bearing or the middle?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts