Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
French Fries
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my r6 the steering lock was broken, the previous owner said he received it that way and had ridden it for 4 years without any problems. I was wondering how hard it is to get it replaced and if there is anything I should be worried about (i.e. it randomly engaging while riding)

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
If it's broken then you don't have to worry about it engaging, ever......

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
If the lock tab is broken off the frame, then you cant fix it, really, unless you have someone with time, skill, and a TIG welder. Probably not worth it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So what solutions are there to parking on streets? Besides leaving it in first gear, should I get a proximity alarm if someone tries to touch it? If so, what would you recommend?

Any suggestions? Anything helps

·
Was it as good for you?
1,381 Posts
I'm not sure how leaving it in first gear would be a theft deterrent. That being said your best bet is to get full coverage with theft.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't know if it is theft deterrent, but doesn't it lock up the rear tire? I plan on getting a proximity alarm, but I don't know which ones are good. I don't know what else I can do at this point besides bringing it to a Yamaha dealership. I'd have to wait til Spring/Summer for that though as Chicago winter is not riding weather.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
I've said this plenty of times. Get theft coverage on your insurance and don't worry about alarms.

No alarm is gonna stop me from loading it into a box van and driving away.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I plan to get theft insurance. I might just get full coverage once the season starts. Do you think getting an alarm will lower the insurance premiums for theft?

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
It should.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts