Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a small sound when I rode over bumps coming from my front end. Found that when I has the bike jacked up I could push the tire front to back. Not a lot, I couldn't even really see it move but I could feel it. So I set the torque on the stem nut down to 83lb but got no results. So does it have to be the bearings? If so any comments on the difficulty and or tricks and tips?

·
R6 Pilot
783 Posts
replace the bearings. they are worn

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
You sure you torqued it down right? You know you need a spanner wrench correct? The bearings probably just need to be retorqued, I could feel mine move when I would use the front brakes. No more than likely no need to replace the bearings unless you can feel them not rotating smoothly.

·
addicted to track
137 Posts
i just had the clicking problem too and just needed to tighten the bearings. to tighten the bearings you need to take off the clipons and then the top triple and then tighten the ring nut. just tightening the nut on top of the tripple wont do anything (although it could bend the tripple if there is a gap underneath, so make sure the clamp bolts are loose before you tighten that one). anyways, you need a ring nut wrench that you can attach a torque wrench to. you can use a spring scale if you know how to do the math. once you take off the tripple, you're gonna see two rings. the the top ring is just a locking ring (a washer sits on it) that does not need to be torqued. the bottom ring is the one you need to torque to proper specs. First stage is a higher torque to set the bearings, then back it off a turn, and then torque it to a much lower setting than the first time. Check the manual for the proper torque settings. It needs to be done properly otherwise you'll keep getting the problem. You might as well have a look at the bearings and races to make sure nothing is damaged. hope that helps. when putting everything back together, be sure to torque stuff in proper sequence, cause like i said, if you were to tighten the clamp bolts to the fork tubes and there was a gap under the triple, you'll bend stuff when you tighten the top nut. hope that helps.
(it is possible you need to replace bearings and/or races if the problem has gone on for too long but just have a look first)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Could also be your fork bushings. I had a noise much like yours. Replaced steering bearings, helped quite a bit but still had a funny feeling in the front end, especially under heavy breaking. Turns out that the bushings inside the forks were worn down considerably. Jack the front end of your bike up, remove the front wheel and see if you have any play in the fork tubes themselves. May be part of your problem too. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
It just sounds like your steering bearing loosened up. Its supposed to be checked every 8000 miles anyway so its not a big deal. Tightening the top steering stem nut won't do anything. Do what hunzimoto said and you should be fine.

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
Yea but if for some reason you can't figure it out or just don't feel comfortable messing with it, I hate suggesting the dealership but..., FYI it cost $35-40 for the dealer to do it. It's not hard and if you don't have a manual for your bike you can download the service manuals off r6messagenet if you search for it here I'm sure you will easily find a link.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I haven't looked on here in a while but thanks for all the replies. I looked at it again the day after I made this thread and could kinda see the 2 nuts under the top triple. That explains why it did nothing. I've torqued down hundreds of hubs onto spindles with the exact same procedure you were describing agent. So once again thanks. Does any one know the torque specs? There should be 3. One to set the bearings then another for the bottem nut and one for the lock nut.

·
addicted to track
137 Posts
not sure the year of your bike but here's what i've got for the older ones

1999-2002
Steering stem adjuster nut (bottom ring nut)
1st stage: 13 ft-lb
2nd stage: 80 in.-lb (watch out for inch-lbs here)
Steering head nut: 85 ft-lb

2003-2004
Steering stem adjuster nut
1st stage: 38 ft-lb
2nd stage: 10 ft-lb
Steering head nut: 82 ft-lb

again, the top ring does not need to be torqued, just finger tightened or very slightly more to get the grooves to lign up with the bottom one so the washer fits

1 - 10 of 10 Posts