Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi the pull on my front brake is very stiff. It's stiff and seems to only need a small distance of travel to brake hard enough.

This first happened at the track, I was starting a bad habit of over trail braking for how fast I go and suddenly brakes real soft. I figure overheated. So I gave up on that session. Then I went out the second time brakes felt better. Then all of a sudden real stiff like I described above. It stayed stiff for about two weeks. I talked to the shop and they changed the brake fluid for me. All fixed... For about two days riding now the problem back, brakes back real stiff, any ideas?

Thanks for your help !

·
R6 Pilot
783 Posts
so are you saying your brakes are doing their job too well??? are you aware of the adjuster that lets the lever perch further or closer to the bar?? maybe im missing something. comprehension owns me sometimes

·
Registered
26 Posts
if you feel the brakes are dragging,i would check the piston seals in the brake caliper to see if there out of shape 1st,and if u feel the brakes are working good for a day or two and then dont seem to feel like there stoppin you any more,,get new brake lines and possibly replace the brake master cylinder aswell just to elimanate the air lock :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the help,

bimmerpowrd, yeah you might say they work too good, they slow the bike fine and there is still decent feel through the lever. But it's definitely not normal and I find them a bit too sensitive now, just worried it means somethings broken.

And thanks bakey, I'm leaning towards the seals problem myself just cause the bike is due 4 years in under the maintenance schedule to replace some seals, but the shop recommended against it because theirs no leaks. Once the brakes went stiff again they've stayed like that it's consistent, so it doesn't seem dangerous.

Right now I'm thinking I'll try and pull it apart in the spring when it starts warming up again, can't hurt and will be interesting. So thanks again and still happy to here anymore comments

·
DARC Racing
2,334 Posts
Pick the front wheel off the ground... Spin wheel ... If there is any more than a slight drag of pad on rotor.. maybe you have an issue... If not... and the lever is just stiff... Sounds perfect. hell myself as well as many others fight all day to get the lever stiff as can be... My lever is tight as can be,, smallest touch and brakes are full force.. Thats how it should be and I love it.

Hope I didnt mis-understannd you issue... Stiff lever is awesome... Stiff front wheel do to drag is NOT awesome...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts