Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I posted just over a week ago about the output shaft seal leaking, at least I thought it was. I'm trying to figure out what else could leak and get oil on the chain?

The new seal I put in looks clean and dry, sprocket is clean and dry other than where the chain touches it. So some how, by force of magic, I am still getting oil on my chain and throwing it everywhere. I can't find a crack in the block anywhere.

I'm not positive so hopefully someone can help me, does the bolt directly to the right of the sprocket seal anything? Or just hold the case together? I'm totally lost on where this could be coming from. Might be dealership time and I'll just let them figure it out. There has to be something I'm missing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Got street appeal?
1,651 Posts
Are you 100% sure it's not chain lube?

Take some brake clean and compressed air to completely dry your suspect area. Take some foot powder in a can and spray the area. Then run your engine and put in gear without chain or sprocket. It will leave a line from the point of origin.

I have seen cases that are cracked but the crack didn't become visible until it heated up.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, after I replaced the seal I thoroughly cleaned everything, including scrubbing the chain with kerosene. And I only applied a little but it clear spray on chain lube before I rode it around for like 15 min, never leaked. Then I took it on about an hour ride and when I got home it had oil on it again.

I just ran it for like 15 min no sprocket in first and no leak. Then I rode it around for about 10 min no leak, it's covered in foot powder and I didn't lube the chain up after cleaning it this time. I'll take it out later and actually ride it hard, if it's going to leak, it'll leak then. Thanks for the idea, I wasn't sure it I could run it in gear without a sprocket.

·
passion 4 bikes
18 Posts
my 02 r6 did that but it turned out it was all the lube off the chain building up and when it got hot it looked like the sprocket seal was leaking...but your chain is clean and dry,got me puzzled what it could be.i would do what shnormo said with the foot powder.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my 02 r6 did that but it turned out it was all the lube off the chain building up and when it got hot it looked like the sprocket seal was leaking...but your chain is clean and dry,got me puzzled what it could be.i would do what shnormo said with the foot powder.

Yeah I wrote it off as that for a while, but I changed over to motul oil this year, and the drips/crap getting on the arm has that green tint their oil has. Nothing about my chain lube is green.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.