Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy from my local shop and I were talking about track days. I told him that I'd never been to one yet, but planned on hitting a couple this year. He told me I couldn't run stock brakes bc I'd cook them.

Any truth to this?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Guy from my local shop and I were talking about track days. I told him that I'd never been to one yet, but planned on hitting a couple this year. He told me I couldn't run stock brakes bc I'd cook them.

Any truth to this?
Nope! not in beginner level anyway. I did pretty wel on mine all of last season

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks. Apparently he thought I was running the WERA A Superbike Expert class or something.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
lol you don't need to do anything to get on the track. Just make sure your brakes pads are good and tires are good and you'll be ready to ride the track. And get some water wetter and safety wire the filter and oil pan drain bolt.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol you don't need to do anything to get on the track. Just make sure your brakes pads are good and tires are good and you'll be ready to ride the track. And get some water wetter and safety wire the filter and oil pan drain bolt.
Thanks man. Just mix the water wetter with distilled water? Afterwards should I flush it and put antifreeze back in it for the street?

·
I am the vanilla gorilla
181 Posts
Like said above, no need to worry. Get you some steel braided lines and you will really tell a difference on the track :fact

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input guys. I can't wait.

The only thing I'm really worried about is that I'm going solo. Hopefully the other riders can give me tips and whatnot, because I don't really know what to expect.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Where are you located and what track are you going to? Maybe someone from the forum is hitting up the event too. At the very least, you should be able to talk to the control riders and they'll help you out. Most of the organizations I know of have some kind of new rider program where they walk you through all the procedures, teach you a good basic line to start off with, along with skills work to get you riding better / safer / faster.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
You can run stock pads, rotor, mc, and calipers. Change the fluid and lines or they'll fade in a few short laps.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
This. Your bike is more capable than you at the track straight off the showroom floor.
Incorrect, with the stock lines I was able to fade them so hard in one session that I could get the lever to the bar and still not stop to my liking. The stock lines are adequate at best IMO

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where are you located and what track are you going to? Maybe someone from the forum is hitting up the event too. At the very least, you should be able to talk to the control riders and they'll help you out. Most of the organizations I know of have some kind of new rider program where they walk you through all the procedures, teach you a good basic line to start off with, along with skills work to get you riding better / safer / faster.
Doing it with Nesba, May 8th at Summit Point.

You can run stock pads, rotor, mc, and calipers. Change the fluid and lines or they'll fade in a few short laps.
Yeah I planned on getting some new lines. Maybe some Fren Tubo's. Type 3.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I can't wait.

The only thing I'm really worried about is that I'm going solo. Hopefully the other riders can give me tips and whatnot, because I don't really know what to expect.
Most people are very friendly and welcoming of new riders at the racetrack, in my experience.

Incorrect, with the stock lines I was able to fade them so hard in one session that I could get the lever to the bar and still not stop to my liking. The stock lines are adequate at best IMO
Brake fade would have more to do with the pads than the lines, no?

·
Searching and lurking...
24 Posts
It's amazing how much bad info/advise that riders are getting from people who've never been to the track... (not from the responses here, referring to the original post). You're not going to cook your brakes.

Brake lines are always the first modification I make on a stock bike. Goodrich and Galfer are popular are perform well. I wouldn't worry about pads unless they're old/worn. When you do replace them, look at the Vesrah RJL's.

Depending on your pace, track, and temps, you may or may not experience brake fade. When I ran my street 1000RR on the track, I didn't experience brake fade on the stock lines untill I really started picking up the pace. Once I put on steel lines the fade was gone. Remember to use good fluid (SuperBlu) and get ALL the air bubbles out when you bleed them.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
when i started out, i was on OLD stock lines and was slow enough to never have a problem. i got a new bike for my second season and did all my days on new stock lines. i got a little faster, but still never really had a fade issue. my third season was done on braided lines. they are very consistent. once you go to them you will not want to go back...

s3aturnr

·
Registered
870 Posts
Cheap "upgrade" you can do on your r6. I don't have a picture, but if someone wants to post a pic of a brake caliper (facing to the back), you'll see that there is a metal clip there, it pushes the brake pads apart a little bit, what it does it... when you ride you have this clip pushing the pads against your rotors, street rides are fine, but on the track it tents to do some over heating. Anyway if you take them out, you'll notice a "clicking" sound that your brake pads will make... but thats normal, and you'll get much better cooling.

I ran stock pads until I got into intermediate group, then I got galfer HH (which over heated, but it was like 100 degrees outside and very humid) .... after that when I got to expert I changed over to vesrah rjl's, which it my opinion are pretty bad ass for the price. Also, I do have steel brake lines.... but, since its your first track day, none of this will matter.... Trust me, you won't be in expert after 1 track day.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts