Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is stock gearing on an 09 R6? 525 or 530. I'm looking to add 3 teeth to my rear sprocket while keeping my front sprocket and chain. Will this yeald a noticeable low end boost? Has anyone else done this?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has anyone made the choice to do this rather than the full 520 conversion -1+2? The reason im considering it is because I basically have a brand new setup, im not really concerned with a few extra pounds, and it will be a whole lot easier to just change out sprockets. Not having to worry about cutting the chain and everything will be nice. any thoughts?

·
vroom on a yamaha
550 Posts
just go -1 on the front it will be chepaer and the same thing. for every tooth dropped in the front its like adding three in the back.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand. The reason MOST people do the 520 Conv. is to reduce weight, and USUALLY to change tooth count to increase low end power. What im asking, is if anyone here has experience changing out there stock 525 sprockets (both front and rear) for the typical -1+2 (15, 47) tooth count. Am i correct in thinking that ill be able to use my stock chain, and that the installation will be as easy and removing the rear tire, taking off front sprocket, installing new...all without removing chain? I have searched the forum and have not found a thread about this specific topic. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone have any advice for me concerning my last post question? I will be doing this sprocket change today. Thanks.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
I dont have any personal experience with what youre planning on doing, but I really dont see a problem with it as long as you put 525 sprockets on...

You might get a slight decrease in chain/sprocket life (very slight) only because the chain/sprockets didnt wear together from the beginning...but you should be ok...

I know youre trying to save yourself the hassle of changing out the chain, but its really not that difficult, as long as you get a chain breaking/riveting tool...are you trying to avoid that cost? Cause you can pick one up for like $50

1 - 9 of 9 Posts