Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How well will the Dunlops hold up at the track. Do I HAVE to get a different set if I want to go to the track or will the stocks hold up okay?

Thanks for info.

·
Registered
129 Posts
well they very soft i have never taken them to the track but i think they'll do ok for a slow run. but i would get another set and if you planning on going more to the track i would get another set of rims. it just makes it easier to change tires.

·
Tell Daddy how u want it!
119 Posts
How well will the Dunlops hold up at the track. Do I HAVE to get a different set if I want to go to the track or will the stocks hold up okay?

Thanks for info.
Bought the bike last yr and it came with the stock qualifiers. I had about 5 trackdays with them this yr 2 in novice and 3 in intermediate group. Now it needs to be replaced. Had plenty of grip and no problem with them. you will be fine until you start moving up the group and your pace increases. By that time tires will need to be replaced anyway.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys! Some guy told me that they weren't very good tires at a meet and it kinda put a damper on my confidence. I don't like to ride without confidence.

·
Just Burnin Time
2,219 Posts
I gave my roommate my stock rubber and he ran the shit out of them at the track twice... Obviously not as good as aftermarket rubber but will do.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I hate to disagree, but I did not feel that the stock qualifiers on my 08 were good at all. I was disappointed in the feel and grip and ended up mounting some Bridgestone BT-002r (Dot race tires) instead and was MUCH happier at the track. They are not much more expensive than stock replacements either, but they dont last as long either. My advice would be to put better rubber on if you can afford to, or take it a little easier if you cant. My bridgestones had me out of the novice group and up near the top of the intermediate group by the end of my first track day, dragging knees on boths sides. Confidence in your rubber is priceless (on more than just the track :hump )

·
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK !!!
550 Posts
Qualifiers are very good tires, you can run a good pace with them so unless you are very fast they will be fine.

·
Tell Daddy how u want it!
119 Posts
I hate to disagree, but I did not feel that the stock qualifiers on my 08 were good at all. I was disappointed in the feel and grip and ended up mounting some Bridgestone BT-002r (Dot race tires) instead and was MUCH happier at the track. They are not much more expensive than stock replacements either, but they dont last as long either. My advice would be to put better rubber on if you can afford to, or take it a little easier if you cant. My bridgestones had me out of the novice group and up near the top of the intermediate group by the end of my first track day, dragging knees on boths sides. Confidence in your rubber is priceless (on more than just the track :hump )
Going from a stock qualifiers and going to a race dot bt002pro are obviously going to be night and day. i mean come on one is a Race DOT which they will actually use in a race and the other a Daily street tire that you can get plenty of miles with. The profile on those race dot makes the bike tip in more and the grip is INSANE. As for the price. BT002RS(racing streets) can be had for $239 shipped. BT003 are over $300 easy and damn near 4 bills.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
my friend this past sunday ran a 1.22.9 on pilot power(non 2ct) that's a very very respectable time for street tires. seriously respectable

in the right hands, even a decent street tire is very very good.

·
best used over 10,000rpm
269 Posts
Agreed a road (ish) set of tyres in the right hands can put the lap times in.

For the virgin R6 cup, uk stock r6 with dunlop qualifers, at some tracks the times were not miles behind the supersport class.
But easily enough to run in the fast group at a trackday.

Are the stock tyres upto it, yes you will have no worries.
When they are worn out, go buy something else, you have plenty to choose from.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
the trick is to getting them to the proper psi when they heat up. as soon as you come off the track, check the pressures. keep them where they gain 5-7psi from cold pressures.
this ensures you are not over heating them. when that happens, they will slide around. and if the pressures are gaining more than 5-7 psi raise the cold pressure a pound or two.
if they don't gain the 5-7, lower the cold pressure, again only a pound. maybe even just 1/2 at a time. some tires are more sensitive to this than others.
(michelin's come to mind)

·
Blue
51 Posts
I have 3 solid track days and 1K street miles on my 07 oem Quals. This last track day (Monday) the front end tucked abit. I run my pressure @ 29F and 31-32R on a low 80 degree day. After the tuck I dropped my front pressure by a lb to get that last little bit out of the front tyre. I will be using the Super Corsa Pro for next season.

·
Go big or go home!
9 Posts
I've hear those are descent tires running them at 31R 30F hot. But when i got my 08 i just had the dealer swap the stock for the corsa III's that were on my old bike, they only had about a thousand miles on em, but those will give you good life and super good grip at the track. Try the stocks aired down a little, just don't push too hard, ride within their means. But when you wanna upgrade without going full race I'd recommend the Pirelli Corsa III!

·
Registered
321 Posts
if your gonna run the dunlops call their tech line and ask what u should run at the track. as for a 5-7 psi increase thats too much anything over 10 percent and you should let air out. personally from my experience, anyone who does track time on a regular basis doesnt use dunlops. and one of the first things i changed on my new R6 were the dunops over to Supercorsa SP's

1 - 17 of 17 Posts