Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,058 Posts
If they have to be on the ground put about 40 psi in them to keep their shape and saran wrap them for storage to avoid dying out.

·
mmmmm
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The sticker that comes on the tire specifies a minimum temperature for storage. I believe it is 47 degrees or 42 or something in the low 40's
I recall the sticker hence why I ask.

How cold does it get in Rockford, idk last year it got down to -15f some nights. I also just thought about it... I'm moving in November... So.. How do I transport a bike with tires that can't touch the ground... Crap.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
I didn't ask how cold it gets in Rockford. How cold will it be inside the space you are storing it in? If consistently below 40 take the wheels off and store them elsewhere. If not just leave it on the stands and they will be fine.

Or here's a better idea: do more trackdays between now and winter and wear out the tires. Then you will need new ones first trackday next year and it wont matter if cold storage kills these ones.

·
mmmmm
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't ask how cold it gets in Rockford. How cold will it be inside the space you are storing it in? If consistently below 40 take the wheels off and store them elsewhere. If not just leave it on the stands and they will be fine.

Or here's a better idea: do more trackdays between now and winter and wear out the tires. Then you will need new ones first trackday next year and it wont matter if cold storage kills these ones.
Garage is not insulated, garage is in Rockford, garage items at gonna be about the same as Rockford.

Bike is winterized, I don't have warmers, I need a new exhaust for it before more track days and I don't have a suit that will work for track days. I'm also getting surgery to remove some of the screws on my collarbone which hurt like hell and get irritated with my spine protector

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,667 Posts
I'm storing my pirelli's on the bike in my garage. Lowest it goes is 0 celsius.

·
mmmmm
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My buddys got a tire machine so i'm just gonna pull the tires off, grab junk tires from the shop back home to throw on for when i have to trailer it over winter. And I'll be able to flip the rear then too come next season.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I just take the wheels off and store them inside.
This is what I would do. Leave the bike on stands and get a good fight out of the wife when I first bring them in. Win the fight by asking for the money upfront to buy new tires and she will help me find a safe place for em :)

·
wat?
722 Posts
Send them to me and I'll store them for you. Never gets cold here. I make no guarantees as to their return condition :D

·
Live ride die
1,065 Posts
Just an idea but take the mud guards off and when off the ground wrap the tires in blankets secure them on with zip ties stop the frost getting to them....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Send them to me and I'll store them for you. Never gets cold here. I make no guarantees as to their return condition :D
LOL!

Just get a good pair of Race Stands and lift them off the ground, unless your an AMA rider or it's gonna be Freezing Ice in your garage you should be fine. Definitely lift them off the cold floor.

·
Registered
351 Posts
mine get laid down on some old carpet in my house for the winter. which last year wasnt bad because i only had about 8 of them to store. this year i horded quite a few sets of good scrubs and now i have to find space for 26 tires. yup, small problem, lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts