Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
I already know the Michelin Road 5s can tilt. I saw a vid where someone tilted like 45 degrees on Dunlop Krs that weren't on warmers and went down. I mean, w/ enough money you should be using Supersofts and nothing else if not just use Road 5s and ride for fun in the dry hot summer only.

I would be scared to use say Endurance unless they were on warmers but w/o proper understanding they could be Worse than Road 5s and other eq. street DOT tires. You get it wrong Once you lose bike and some of your body function forever. It doesn't matter if you know or don't know the limit. Physics doesn't care, just acts.

·
Touchdown!
1,252 Posts
I already know the Michelin Road 5s can tilt. I saw a vid where someone tilted like 45 degrees on Dunlop Krs that weren't on warmers and went down. I mean, w/ enough money you should be using Supersofts and nothing else if not just use Road 5s and ride for fun in the dry hot summer only.

I would be scared to use say Endurance unless they were on warmers but w/o proper understanding they could be Worse than Road 5s and other eq. street DOT tires. You get it wrong Once you lose bike and some of your body function forever. It doesn't matter if you know or don't know the limit. Physics doesn't care, just acts.
Why are your bringing up DOTs in a thread about slicks? They're two completely different tires for different purposes. #rhetorical

·
1up,5down
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Say they go all winter and show zero cracks... Are they good to go or is the rubber compromised by being exposed to the freezing temps?

·
Touchdown!
1,252 Posts
They should be good to go with a thorough inspection showing no defects or cracks. If cracking does occur, it would most likely be near the edge of the tire or surface cracking. By the edge I mean the part that sits in inside of the bead of the wheel. It's a good chance the internal structure of the tire wouldn't crack before the outside judging by the lattice structure of it. You'll most likely experience surface defects before anything else.

However, if the slick is really cold (they become really hard), and if the slick is deformed/bent/distorted/twisted, that could lead to a serious crack or internal defect that the eye may not be able to see. Be careful as it states it on the label. I'm paraphrasing of course.

Go to the track when it's warm, and commence to a good tire inspection. I was on the phone with Pirelli yesterday.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Why are your bringing up DOTs in a thread about slicks? They're two completely different tires for different purposes. #rhetorical
I saw a vid of someone going down on an S1000RR with Dunlop KRs that weren't on warmers. The lean angle wasn't even more than 45 degrees in the dry! I assume endurance tires not on the warmers are harder than say DOT Road 5 street tires unless there was too much front braking going on but it didn't seem like it..

21 - 29 of 29 Posts