Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:twisted: Ok i took my stock exhaust pipe off couple days ago to clean up the bike and so i took it for a rip.. man did i fall in love.. so i wanna take apart the stock exhaust, and straight pipe it through...so my question is how to take apart the pipe?... do i just pop the rivets and go hard or is their a trick i don't know of.. ? sry for the stupid question :stupic

·
Registered
531 Posts
You could try it but I'd recommend getting a new aftermarket can (like Micron, Akrapovic, etc.) . the sound will probably turn out pretty bad compared to an aftermarket & also you'd probably loose HP ?

Plus the hassle of pulling it apart & trying to find bits to go in wouldn't be worth it IMO.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have heard a 99 R6 with a gutted out pipe. Was not pleasing. Image a D&D pipe crossed with a Hoda civic with a 3" muffler.

I have also heard running the motor without an end can could cause valve issues. The motor needs more back pressure than just straight header.

Oh, almost forgot, welcome to the board.

-DJ1298 :mrgreen:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Dont do it! I did and it was a pain in the ass and sounded like a go cart now my bikes in the shop for a poor Idle and they say its because exhaust was tampered with thank god for warranty they told me to get new or aftermarket so I did I get it back in 2 days hope all is well by the way its an 03 :cuss :cuss :cuss :hammer :hammer :hammer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Straightpiping

Thankx guys for all the input.. after reviewing all your reply's i've decided to just keep it stock cuz i'll b selling the bike to my best friend next spring when i go pick myself up a new 2004 R1...ooohhh.. can't wait... i had a 98 R1 and i miss it :tongue

1 - 5 of 5 Posts