Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2009 R6... love the bike... but when I am riding, it feels like it wants to turn in really quick. Additionally, I let go of the handle bars and the bike seems like it wants to go either to the left or the right, but not in a straight line.

I have new tires and had the suspension adjusted by Dave Moss (suspension guru in CA) ...

Any ideas on what could be going on with this bike?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has it always felt that way after Dave set things up for you? Or is it a recent occurrence?

On the track? On the street? Stock suspension?

I only ride it on the street.

Stock suspension.

it had a head nut that was loose and I tightened it up ...

It felt that way before Dave adjusted it and afterwards as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
low tire pressure? That will make the front want to tuck under during turn in.
Tires are 42 psi... I don't understand it...

like I said, I let go of the handle bars and it wants to turn left or right... there isn't a preference ... it just feels like the bike is unbalanced
( and I am not sitting to one side of the seat or another either... )

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,459 Posts
Tires are 42 psi... I don't understand it...

like I said, I let go of the handle bars and it wants to turn left or right... there isn't a preference ... it just feels like the bike is unbalanced
( and I am not sitting to one side of the seat or another either... )
It may not be the only problem but, 42 psi is too high. What kind of tires?

Is the bike's ride height stock?

·
Registered
672 Posts
At what speed does this happen? Does it stop if you go faster or slower?

·
Formerly UnknownResource
490 Posts
Was it doing this before the new tires? Could be that you're comparing the turn in of the old tires that were flat in the middle to the new, much more round tires. Especially at 42 psi.

·
Living life the Right way
23 Posts
I had the same problem when I put new Michy pilot powers on my 08. Had the exact same steering sensitivity. I attributed it to the tires being more of an egg shape and less round from sitting on the shelf. Once they wear in, the tire will flatten out, and that will go away. It is a rather unsettling feeling, though!

·
I ride my wife and her R6
101 Posts
I think you might have over tightened the steering head bearings just a little. That high profile on the tire is a good thing, you want that for quick tip in. What you don't want is for your bike to track, you want it to flow. Try retorquing the steering head bearings and adjust the tire pressure down. But only one at a time with a test run in between so you can tell what made a difference if any. Cheers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.