Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped the bike and cracked my stator cover and replaced it. The stator magneto whatever was a little rashed not much, but now my bike won't keep a charge. I'll be ridin after i charge it and it'll start actin like a jackass and the speedo will go off then the bike will lose power until i can't go anymore. So do I prolly need a new stator or magneto? If so do I just replace the stator or are there other parts like resisters and what not. Let me know plz, any info would be appreciated.

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
Generator itself is composed of the stator and magnetic rotor. The power generated from that goes to the regulator. If your magnet is scratched (on the outside I assume, then your stator is likely damaged also. To check, take off the stator cover and inspect both. If you're not holding a charge, it'll most likely be because the stator is damaged or the magnet is bent slightly and rubbing the stator (which will discharge or surge the generated electricity).

Also check the plug between the stator and regulator - it may be fried if the stator/magnet contact friction causes a surge.

Good rule is - if you damage the magnet replace both the stator and magnet - if the stator only is damaged, the magnet can stay. Be careful getting the magnet out if you go that route - first remove the magnet and the disk which it's bolted to from the axle that it's held to by the center bolt. Then remove the three bolts holding it to the disk behind it, do not try to remove those bolts with the rotor on the bike - you'll strip them, guaranteed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts