Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I got a question for you that somebody here might be able to answer. I have a 03 r6 and it's streched and low.when I go over speed bumps it bottoms out and scraps across the bump. My question is does someone make a plate or something that somehow mounts in the bottom fairings that protects the lower exhaust from such things, kinda like a skid plate for a car? Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I'm still a noob lol

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
stretching & lowering a bike changes the geometry. Pretty clear whoever did your suspension work is a dumbass to put it mildly. Raising it back up and putting the bike back to the proper wheelbase will solve your problems.

·
First Gen FTW
11,444 Posts
The only way to solve your problem is to lift the bike back up to stock. Or custom tune it to you at normal ride height.

are you short? Why is it low?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Get an adjustable link on the rear and bring it back up a little bit. maybe bring the forks up a little too. Too low just leads to scraping and can even hurt traction.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
:eek5

No skid plates for streetbikes that I've ever seen. But maybe you could start something new. Possibly diamond plate lower fairings?

Seriously though, choices are pretty much:
  1. return bike to stock height
  2. avoid speedbumps
  3. do something really interesting to keep the belly from scraping

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't lower it, I bought it streched out but not extremely. It sits low enough that bigger speed bumps and my lower exhaust don't get along to well. I'm not necessarily short, 5'8" but I like how it sits. Looks more aggressive imo. But that sucks to hear those are my options. Maybe I'll look into some kind of custom solution like a light weight skid plate that mounts into the lower fairings with some modification, i.e. drilling holes in the bottom of the lower fairings.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Pics please...

:sing

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Wheelie over the speed bumps to solve any bottoming issues. :D

Serious answer would be to check your suspension settings, get the spring preload set and raise the bike back up a little bit more. More times than not, lower jobs are half-assed and the suspension doesnt get the proper attention and treatment for a proper setup.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Pics out of curiosity and to see all the hate fly lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you mount a skid plate to the belly faring, your just going to transfer the force to the rest of the lower faring and mounting points. Only way to do what your asking without destroying your plastic would be to make a full lower faring to replace the existing one, that is capable of holding the weight of the bike with you on it, that attaches to the frame some how.

But even then your gonna get stuck on a speed bump, and have to push the bike over it with your legs. Sorry but it doesn't make since to me to have to go to that extreme just to ride a lowered sportbike that doesn't handle for crap any way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts