Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, This forum is awesome. I really like the people here and feel like I can ask some questions here without getting too much crap in return. Thanks r6-forum.

I'm really getting into riding a lot more then ever before, and am looking to add to my gear for doing so. I don't at the moment do any track days, so this is strictly for the street. Right now its either the nike shoes, or redwing steel toe work boots. The redwing boots are ok but just not really riding style boots. And the tennis shoes just don't belong on the bike (IMHO).

What is comfortable to ride in on the street? I have some fox tracker MX boots and I have tried them on the street bike but they go all the way to my knees and are so stiff that I cannot shift the street bike easily because I can not flex the boot at the ankle.

I want a boot that goes to mid calf but is still comfortable to ride in and walk around in some.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My Alpinestars sm-x 5 waterproof boots have worked great for me! They aren't as cool looking as some of the other, more expensive options, but i like them. They are comfortable to ride in, and are fine to walk in too.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
Don't wear those Nike's if you value the use of your feet. You have evaluated the Redwings perfectly; just OK. A purpose built riding boot will be better in every way. I've spent some time riding on the street in MX boots and you're right, it totally sucks.

SIDI makes the best boots out there and they have a model to match every type of riding for every rider.

Check out the SIDI Cobra, they are very popular amongst street riders for their mix of protection, features and affordability. They even come in 4 versions. In addition to the regular Cobra, the AIR has perforations to move more air if you frequently ride in hot weather. The RAIN has a water resistant membrane if you anticipate being caught out in the rain and the Gore-Tex version is guaranteed to keep you dry in any weather.
If you've got more cash to spend, you can look at moving up to the ST, the Vortice or the all new Mag-1; those 3 are the full on race boots and will offer the most protection available.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Any street oriented riding boot will be more comfortable and flexible than those fox boots. Mx boots don't even compare, my tech 10 mx boots are bricks compared to my smx plus boots. Find some dianese or sidi boots you like and can afford. Comfort is opinion, I've walked around all day in my track boots at school just fine, but you may not like that. You get some odd questions lol

·
Get Some..!
288 Posts
I could walk all day (and sometimes do) in my A-star SMX Plus boots. Worn under jeans, you could barely tell they are riding boots. IMO go for boots that zips/ratchets up over boots that only rely on Velcro. Once Velcro gets a bit tired, walking in them always has them coming undone.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Worry more about protection and comfort and less about style. Those redwings might keep your foot from getting rashed or banged up, but they won't help with your ankle. I've literally ridden once in tennis shoes and I won't ever ride in them again. It felt like I might as well have been barefoot, and there is zero protection. My ankles also got sunburned, and that's just plain stupid.

I have the Alpinestars SMX 5 waterproof boots, and the SMX plus boots. Both are about the same comfort-wise with the 5's being better for walking around in. The SMX plus boots squeak like a mother****er though.

I also have a pair of SIDI vortices, and the protection is much better and they are much more comfortable than either of the alpinestars, but they are definitely race boots and not something I'd like to wear all day. Unfortunately they lasted about 15 minutes on the track before I decided to test them out.

·
wat?
722 Posts
The SMX plus boots squeak like a mother****er though.
This was what I was going to post after seeing the guy above say he walks all day in them. They squeak LOUDLY. I wear them on the track, or on rides where I am just cruising and coming back home. I wouldn't recommend them if you want to wear them around wherever you arrive for several hours (e.g., work, grocery store, etc.)

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
This was what I was going to post after seeing the guy above say he walks all day in them. They squeak LOUDLY. I wear them on the track, or on rides where I am just cruising and coming back home. I wouldn't recommend them if you want to wear them around wherever you arrive for several hours (e.g., work, grocery store, etc.)
Yeah, I used to wear them while I commuted in college. Luckily I had a locker for my jacket that I could also stuff the boots in and keep a spare set of shoes in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the input. I really like the looks of most of the sidi boots, and some of the alpinestars boots. Sounds like I'll have to find a local shop and try some on and see what fits me the best.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
At first they squeaked like fcuk like you guys said. I just didn't care and dealt with it, but after a while hey stopped squeaking.

Thanks all for the input. I really like the looks of most of the sidi boots, and some of the alpinestars boots. Sounds like I'll have to find a local shop and try some on and see what fits me the best.
Even though I own a ton of a* gear ill tell you in recent years the quality has declined. I'd look for sidi or dianese.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm really liking the sidi cobra, and the virtigo boots. I haven't tried them on yet, but just by the look and price range, I like them. are these particular boots going to be to much of a track boot for pure street riding? I don't care about looks, as much as I do comfort and protection.

Someone once told me that "if there is one part of your body to go above and beyond for it is your feet, Because they have to carry you around for the rest of your life". I have kind of lived by that every since. Hell I wear $250 red wings to work everyday on construction sites. So paying $250 for some riding boots is cheep insurance for me that if I do go down for whatever reason, at least if I'm able, I'll walk away.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
The Cobra is aimed at street riders. As you move up in the race line to the Vertigo -> ST -> Vortice -> Mag-1 you get a little more protection, more features (like vents and replaceable parts), and a more precise fit via adjustability. They are all great boots, my motto with gear is usually just buy the best you can afford.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Worry more about protection and comfort and less about style. Those redwings might keep your foot from getting rashed or banged up, but they won't help with your ankle.
This. I street rode mostly but got pair of Sidi ST and they're perfect as now I'm only really track riding. Just think future and more protection is better. As someone else stated in the thread Sidi ST, vortice, etc

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
At first they squeaked like fcuk like you guys said. I just didn't care and dealt with it, but after a while hey stopped squeaking.

Even though I own a ton of a* gear ill tell you in recent years the quality has declined. I'd look for sidi or dianese.
4+ years of daily street commuting and a couple dozen trackdays, they still squeak like mofo

I'd still wear alpinestars boots, but for the price of new boots you can get Sidi. I don't think I'll be buying anymore of their suits or gloves though. M problem is that their stuff is so popular it is very easy to find on closeout or gently used for prices that are too good to turn down. At full price their stuff just isn't worth it over the other options out there.

·
Registered
292 Posts
love my Sidi ST Air, they're comfortable enough to walk around in but im probably going to pick up the Sidi Streetburners next year.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
sidi vortice.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
4+ years of daily street commuting and a couple dozen trackdays, they still squeak like mofo

I'd still wear alpinestars boots, but for the price of new boots you can get Sidi. I don't think I'll be buying anymore of their suits or gloves though. M problem is that their stuff is so popular it is very easy to find on closeout or gently used for prices that are too good to turn down. At full price their stuff just isn't worth it over the other options out there.
Good point. I like my a* boots but my next will be sidi, however after 4 pair of gloves I refuse to buy more from them. Like you said you can find suits on closeout for cheap. If I hadn't got my suit almost half price I'd be mad. A 1500$ suit shouldn't have busted or loose stitches from normal riding

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just pulled the trigger and bought a pair of like new sidi virtigo's on eBay still in box for $180 shipped. They are a 9 1/2, and I wear a 9 in most shoes and boots so hopefully they have a little wiggle room. If it's someone on here selling them, thanks lol.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just pulled the trigger and bought a pair of like new sidi virtigo's on eBay still in box for $180 shipped. They are a 9 1/2, and I wear a 9 in most shoes and boots so hopefully they have a little wiggle room. If it's someone on here selling them, thanks lol.
damn thats a steal, hope you like em. honestly the sidi's run true to size. personally i like a snug fit but hope they treat you well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts