Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Knee drags YOU!
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Putting my R6 back on the road after a long break. It's been a few years since I've ridden.
The plan is for mostly street riding to get back into the swing of things, and maybe a trackday or two at the end of the season.

Any suggestions for a street tire that is capable of a trackday "beginner" pace? I won't be using my tire warmers this year. I imagine I will be back to square one after not riding for so long.

Willing to trade tire life for grip, but I need some heat cycle resistance with frequent street riding.
I've had luck with the Bridgestone BT-016 and Bridgestone BT-003RS in years past.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
53 Posts
according to my personal experience, Q3`s are nice for street and track days riding with an amazing grip on them, but they dont last long like Michelin. my next set of tires will be Pilot Power 2 CT.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Q3+ or Q4. I rode Q3+s to mid pack A group at my local track. At that point, they'd start getting greasy after about lap 3. My experience with Q4s is second hand, but my impression is that they're even better at the cost of worse wear for daily riding, e.g. highway commuting. Really can't go wrong with the Q3+ as a novice.

·
Touchdown!
1,252 Posts
For longevity at that pace during the occasional on the track fun mixed with mostly street riding, get a Michelin Pilot Road 3 or 4. If you want a little more grip, go with a Michelin Pilot Power 3.

If you want to be a little more confident on grip and lose a couple thousand miles on the street, go with a Dunlop Sportmax Q3 or Q3+.

There's always a trade off between grip and longevity.

If you're feeling really froggy and want even more grip, go with a Pirelli Rosso III.

On a scale from 1 - 10 (Just my opinion):

Michelin Pilot Road 3: Grip = 4 , Longevity = 8.5
Michelin Pilot Power 3: Grip = 4.5 , Longevity = 8
Dunlop Sportmax Q3: Grip = 5.5 , Longevity = 6
Pirelli Rosso III: Grip = 6 , Longevity = 5.5

·
Hey...watch this
557 Posts
You could probably go with most any decent street tire, but the only right answer to your question is Q3+.
Q4 would be more for the track but wouldn't get you 4000 miles.
If you like Michelin, (I do), look at the SuperSports. Have wallet ready.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts