Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be there for my first B group track day, along with a couple of (non-r6) locals. Anybody else going?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The first session, the track was damp but drying out, and I had a fun time. The second session, it started raining hard, I still went out there, but like a rookie, I didn't lower my tire pressures a little more, nor did I soften my suspension. I tucked the front on the warm up lap going about 30 into the bowl and broke the brake lever. It kept raining, and my friend wasn't feeling so well, so we decided to call it a day instead of getting back out there.. I understand there were a couple of other lowsides, including one of the control riders. Given the circumstances it wasn't bad at all, just not the best day to ride for me.

·
Living free
433 Posts
Is Streets of Willow the closest track to San Diego? What are the fees like? Anything else I should know. I would like to try out a track some time in my life time and would like to know everything I would need to have or do to the 6 to ride out there.

·
I am the Stig
451 Posts
Yeah it's pretty much Willow Springs or Chuckwalla. Can't wait to get to the track.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Is Streets of Willow the closest track to San Diego? What are the fees like? Anything else I should know. I would like to try out a track some time in my life time and would like to know everything I would need to have or do to the 6 to ride out there.
Fontana is the closest track(less than 2hrs), but its pretty expensive. I have never been there but I think its around $250 a ticket. Willow Springs/Streets of Willow is about 3.5 hours away from SD. Price ranges from $120-$150 or so. I haven't been to Chuckwalla yet but mapquest says 3hrs 40 minutes. Costs are comparable to Willow.

There isn't much you really have to do to your bike. Just tape up the mirrors or take them off. You also need to tape the headlight and tail lights. As long as your bike is in good running condition, that should be it. You don't need track plastics, but they are a great investment.

Getting the bike to the track can be a pain. You definitely don't want to ride it there. You will need a truck or a trailer plus a ramp of some kind. You will also need straps to tie the bike down. Things to bring in truck: Basic tools, gas can(5 gallons is enough), tire gauge, ez up if possible, and bike stands can be nice to have. There are plenty of members in the socal section that go to all of these tracks and can help you. Definitely worth trying it man...so addicting:YEA

·
Living free
433 Posts
^^
Well I have a truck and one good tie down, I have hauled it around before. Was kind of scary. Hmm WIllow Springs seems to be worth the extra drive. Looks like all I need is better gear. All I have is a leather jacket, gloves and a helmet.
But yeah I really want to hit one up, just have to save up for the suit and boots. Think I need a new helmet too, getting kind of old.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts