Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
passion 4 bikes
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,new to the forum so just want to say hello...iv stripped the threads on my 02 r6 sump so I have got a new oil pan to fit I was just wondering if anyone has changed one before and does it just come off with nothing falling out when removed,i:e can I just remove all the allen key bolts and remove the old one and fit the new one with no problems.many thanks.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Yeah!!!! Time for a new oil pan!!!!!

·
Ow ,NuckenFuts
1,075 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
The thread is 14mm 1.25, get a 14mm 1.5 tap ( $10 ) and a matching bolt ($3) at autozone. Screw the tap in to re thread it and your good to go.

Then get a permanent marker and draw an arrow on it so you don't turn it the wrong way and strip it again.

·
Yamaha 4 Life
514 Posts
I just did this job recently on my 2010 as the previous owner stripped the oil drain threads.

Was a simple job, and the only thing that "fell out" was the plastic oil drain pickup cover thing (honestly dont know what the name of this part is) and all I had to do was just push it back into place.

As far as RTV, there are differing opinions here. Personally, if I am using a gasket to seal two surfaces and the mating surfaces are perfectly flat with no undulation I see no need for it. I used none when I did the job and after 10 track days this year I have yet to see a drop or even a weep of oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts